cereal grains as a perenial

• bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

The green area surrounding the worked up food plot is a 5 year old winter wheat plot . It is a good very cheap fall food plot. I just wait for the winter wheat to head out then fertilize and disc the whole field and you are seeded and ready for a great early season kill plot with very little cost or work. you can do this for many years and ww is a natural weed killer so weed competion is not an issue.

shednut
    22 feet up

Great tip Bob!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Another excellent tip Bob! I’m hoping to put in some winter wheat this fall.

whittsend

Very cool… For those of us not familiar with winter wheat as foodplot forage, can you comment on timing for this process? I assume it goes something like this….

1) Plant in late summer (~Sept 1?)

2. (Shoot big buck during early season bow)

3) Let grow until… ?? When will it head out? I assume it will happen later in the following summer, then you disc up the area that August or September… But I could be wrong.

Do you disc it pretty shallowly, just enough to break the plants up, disperse seeds, but not bury them too deeply??

Seems like a cool idea, I was just hoping you could elaborate on timing and specifics of this process.

Thanks!

Mike

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Quote:

Very cool… For those of us not familiar with winter wheat as foodplot forage, can you comment on timing for this process? I assume it goes something like this….

1) Plant in late summer (~Sept 1?)

2. (Shoot big buck during early season bow)

3) Let grow until… ?? When will it head out? I assume it will happen later in the following summer, then you disc up the area that August or September… But I could be wrong.

Do you disc it pretty shallowly, just enough to break the plants up, disperse seeds, but not bury them too deeply??

Seems like a cool idea, I was just hoping you could elaborate on timing and specifics of this process.

Thanks!

Mike

You hit the nail on the head! Plant late august. I just disc the soil for a good seed bed and then drill or broadcast the ww at 1 bushel per acre and some 23 0-15 fertilizer. (the ww ranks right at the top for palitability and protien) you will have nice green forage all winter long. the following year it will head out in early june, wait untill about august 15th add some more fertilizer and disc As deep as you can, you will have a nice young stand of ww to hunt over and will provide good forage all winter and more importantly early spring when everything else is brown you will have a great food source for you deer herd and turkeys. you can do this for many years with little or no expense.

whittsend

Awesome, thanks!

So disc deep, kill all existing plants, get a good, deep, churned up tilth going… Man that sounds pretty simple.

Thanks again!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

WOW, I missed this one somehow!

Great post Bobss. I think people like Cheap & Easy!

We have an area in ND of WW and it don’t get very long as the deer keep it mowed down pretty good in the Fall!

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

The green area surrounding the worked up food plot is a 5 year old winter wheat plot . It is a good very cheap fall food plot. I just wait for the winter wheat to head out then fertilize and disc the whole field and you are seeded and ready for a great early season kill plot with very little cost or work. you can do this for many years and ww is a natural weed killer so weed competion is not an issue.

This post, along with the supplemental information, is one of the best I’ve read here. While I don’t claim to know much about food plotting, it’s obvious that this is a major time and money saver that will reap rewards in terms of deer for several years.

Try finding advice like this on a bag of seed or from a vendor!

Thanks Bob!

Joel

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

Agreed Joel, great idea Bob. Hey that wood line looks familiar!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.