food plots

• tyguy11
    Alma Wi

i was just wondering what all you guys plant for food plots? i’ve heard of some people planting pumpkins? chicory? sugar beets? cow peas? turnups? let me know what you guys plant

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I think it all depends on your goals for the plot. Is it to help the deer in the Summer grow antlers, is it a hunting plot? Is it to help your herd through the winter/stress months??? Once you figure this out, there are plots or seeds that help you achieve these.

We have planted a little of everything from Northern MN to Central MN, even Southern MN and Eastern ND. The list of food plot seeds we have planted and tried are; Clover, Chicory, Turnips, Rape, Corn, Beans, Winter Wheat & Rye, Tritacle, Peas, Oats, Sugar Beets, Biologic Maximum, Biologic Full Draw, Honey Hole, Secret Plot, a few White Institute seed blends and I might have missed a few others.

For an all season hunting plot it is hard to be Rape, Turnips and Beans all together in one plot. This gives the deer a premium palatable food source throughout the entire hunting season. The deer will hit the beans early in the seasons (August & September) and will come back to the beans looking for those important Energy Carbs, later once it gets cold and snowy (Mid to Late November & December). They will mill in the Rape early season, but once it gets cold and Mother Nature drops a few good freezes on the ground(usually mid October). The deer will absolutely hammer the Rape and Turnips once those Carbs turn into sugars from the freeze! The will eat and seek this like candy until its all gone. So that covers the majority of the Hunting season here in the MidWest. With that being said it may depend on your soil and area, but this seems to work well here in MN and Eastern ND where I have planted and sat over many different types of plots.!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.