Anyone looking for an ATV disc????

• jhalfen

Nope. I popped a few fish a week ago pulling F7s on 3-ways on P4.

However, I think the best 3-way bite is yet to come. A bit warmer and a bit more color in the water will help big time.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

Shane,

We caught a real nice two man limit yesterday pulling lead and three ways on 7. As long as the water’s open, it can be effective.

jdw
    Otsego, MN

Quote:

Is 30 to 35 degree water temp to cold for pulling stickbaits on a three way rig?

The water might be a bit hard at 30 degrees…

I’ve certainly had luck w/ water temps in the 35+ range, though.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I was on 7 yesterday and the temps were pretty consistant at right around 37-38. I verified this with the other boat in our group and they said they had the same kind of temps.

royalflush

I’m not a scientist either, BUT I took a couple of classes at a Holiday Inn Express. The whole water freezing at 32 degrees is misnomer. ALL water will turn from a solid (think ice here)to a liquid ABOVE 32 degrees.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

I pulled 3 ways this weekend with both cranks and ringworms. Both presentations caught a few fish this weekend for us. Water temp was around 37 degrees.

Hope that helps

jdw
    Otsego, MN

Quote:

I was below petenwell, when I got there it said thirty and after a while it said 33. Like I said it could be my finder…

I’m certainly not a scientist, either. And, sorry, I was just poking fun…not trying to get the post off-topic.

I wouldn’t hesitate to pull three ways in mid 30 degree water. In fact, some of my best luck w/ them has come on days when I was the only person “dumb enough” to be pulling three-ways when the water was “too cold”. Good luck!

bailey99

Good question!

I would say let the fish tell you if that is the presentation they want and the only way to find out is to try it!

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

So we have no scientists on ido?

wkw

At least no rocket scientists!! But this ain’t rocket science either. Pull a 3-way just about any time of the year, in the right place, and with the right bait, and you’ll probably get bit.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

So you don’t have to be a scientist to pull a three way? What about a jig and minnow?

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

I would say jig and minnow!

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

What about a split shot and hook?

jdw
    Otsego, MN

Quote:

What about a split shot and hook?

Like I said…I’m not a scientist. So, I haven’t even considered trying this one. WAY too many variables. Boat speed, current, wave action, line diameter, split shot weight and diameter, hook size and weight, bait size and weight…the list is endless…you’d need a PHD to fish a split shot and hook correctly.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Getting back to the original topic, what speeds do you guys recommend for pulling 3-ways? I have only used them a handful of times, but have had success everytime.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

This time of year, 1mph is pretty much my standard. I usually use leadcore, so I have to vary my speed some to stay off the bottom, but with three ways or bottom bouncers 1mph to 1.5mph should work pretty well.

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

What size cranks are you pulling, and does that depend on time of year to match the forage ?? also with respect to rapala’s does the size 7 mean the the bait is 7 centimeters?

walleyehunter
    Melrose, WI

Water without any impurities and no movement will begin to freeze around 34 degrees and finish the freeze cycle at 32 degrees. Water that has impurities and or is moving will have freezing point depression and it will take a colder temp to solidify it. The ole Miss is by no means pure or stagnant and will likely get down to 25 to 28 degrees in the faster moving channel before freezing.

As for three way rigs though, I pulled then on Pool 8 during the snow storm on Good Friday and hammered 18 to 21″ eyes in a couple hours. The first 5 hours of jig fishing yielded 2 small eyes. I wasn’t pulling sticks though, I was pulling minnows against the current.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I do think that the size 7 is in reference to centimeters (of the bait, not including the lip). I tend to start with baits in the 3″ to 4″ range (which is the equivilant of a 7 to 9 rapala or a jr Thunderstick).

Those sizes will usually cover you for most of the year. I do tend to run bigger baits in the fall since there is so much forage around that the bigger baits tend to get hit more. 5 & 7 Shad Raps are a mainstay year round as well.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

what size weight are you guys using right now?

How far below your swivel is your sinker?

How far back is your stick from the swivel?

lastly, do you troll downstream, upstream, or both?

I personally like trolling up and jigging down, but yesterday the wind was so strong that I had to go down stream to achieve the slowest speed.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Right now I have a 1 ounce bell sinker.
    8″ dropper to the weight
    18″ fluoro leader to the stick bait
    Just like with dragging, I find out what the fish want as far as directon.
    Last Friday I caught more fish by going cross current, but I was also having good luck going upstream.

superdave
    NE IA

6-10″ for the dropper, 36-42″ for leader length, upstream or cross current for me.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

thanks guys, I just wanted to hear some numbers, that’s about right where I’m at, so I should be able to catch a few at least, right?

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

Thanks for the info guys

A couple of more questions though.
    1)Do you have a swivel at the crank for more action or just go with a knot. If it’s a knot is it a rapala knot or one of the regular knots.

2) color favorites?

Thanks again, This site is great

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I like to have a quik snap at the crank so I can change colors quicker.

As far as colors go: blue/chrome, black/gold, black/silver, and sometimes black/orange.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Hey Mike, shouldn’t you be fishing? You’re missing the best bite right now…

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I run a snap. For colors, I like natural colors like gold/silver, silver/black, etc…

I will also run a wild colored one just to make sure that they’re not looking for something crazy. I like firetiger with a Pink head on them.

superdave
    NE IA

Yep, snap for me to

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Quote:

Hey Mike, shouldn’t you be fishing? You’re missing the best bite right now…

I have to get the little guy on the bus before I can get out of the house

whittsend

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_73272____SearchResults

I picked one of these up last year. (Price is same as last year through Bass Pro… FYI, Cabelas sells the same unit for $300 more!) I used the disc last spring/summer and I’ve had it out already this spring breaking ground.

This disc ROCKS. Super strong, very heavy (important to aid in ground breaking), ratchets up/down works great. I’ve tilled living/unbroken sod with it, but it takes a few passes for that. I had standing corn/beans/sunflowers/weeds all mixed together from last year’s planting and it tilled everything right up this last weekend. One pass and everything was totally churned / uprooted. This disc works extremely well, we even expanded our garden area just cause I have so much fun tilling up the dirt. I’ve heard some of those lighter flip discs need extra weight, but this disc needs NONE at all (NOTE, obviously this unit is NOT a flip disc. ) I weights close to 450 lbs…. Just a real solid, reliable, well functioning piece of ATV equipment!

Anyway, I have no affiliation with the product (or any other company for that matter), but I just thought I’d pass along a very positive experience with a very quality unit. This product is made by a company called Tarter Gate and can also be seen at Tartergate.com. They must sell it under a few brand names (H.S., etc)

FYI! Good luck this food plotting season!!!!

NOTE… I am NOT looking to sell mine. This post is advice only!!!

Mike

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.