Gun sale sites?

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m getting ready to sell a one of a kind rifle.

It’s a hand made wild cat in the .250 Helldiver caliber with all of it’s papers. Built in the ’50’s.

What are the best sale sites to post this on? It’s not a rifle that the average person would buy because the ammo needs to be reloaded…and the price is pretty outstanding.

Thanks for the help!

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Trade for a couple jars of stink bait?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Gunbroker. It’s now to the point where it’s the only game in town really. If it’s sell-able, it it will sell on Gunbroker.

Rare is not necessarily a good thing, but it depends mainly on who made the rifle. I know Ackley built some Helldiver-chambered rifles, so if you have one of those, it’s a totally different deal.

The “Helldiver” wildcats were developed by gun writer L.R. Wallack or something close to that, I didn’t look it up, it may be Wallrack or something similar. Regardless, he was a gun writer and benchrest competitor in the 1950s to 70s and came up with several of his own wildcats including the .250 Helldiver.

I think Wallack based some of his wildcats on the now-obsolete .30-40 Kraig, not sure if this is one of them or not. I did a quick search and I cannot find any data listed for the .250, even on some sites that trade in obsolete cartridge data. Yikes. By chance do you have any data for it from old books? That would be a major asset to include with the sale and could drive increased value.

Interesting rifle. Good luck.

Grouse

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

if you have one of those, it’s a totally different deal.

P.O. Ackley is stamped on the barrel and listed in the original paper work showing how the load was worked up along with it’s ID features.

Time to move ‘er on to a good home that will appreciate the craftsmanship and cartridge.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks Grouse!

Stink bait. Not this time.

It also sports one of the last Sharps actions built.

Attachments:
    1. image-30.jpeg

2. image-29.jpeg

3. image-28.jpeg

4. image-27.jpeg

5. image-26.jpeg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

A little on the cartridge.

“.250 Helldiver
    Overall length of case 2.321
    Overall length of cartridge 3.00
    Case- 30-40 Krag left full length, neck to .25 cal

In a letter from Wallack dated July, 6th 1954, he states use of 48 grains of #4350 powder with 100 grain bullet. He further states it would be wise to start with a lesser charge of powder of about 46 grains and work up the load for best results.

Wallack mentions never having used any bullet in .25 cal under 100 grain weight and his having no use for any .25 caliber bullet under that weight.

Test fired four (4) 30-40 Krag cases necked down to .250 Helldiver and fired same in gun on 12/8/1956. Used forty eight (48) grains of #4350 powder with 100 grain weight Remington Core-Lokt bullet.
    After test firing – cases extracted very easily form chamber of gun and primers showed no flattening beyond normal found in use of 46 grains #4350 with 100 grain bullet. Indications are that use of 48 grains #4350 perfectly safe.”

Like I said, it’s not a rifle for just anyone. )

Thanks again Grouse.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

could also throw it on armslist as well waytogo

catnip
    south metro

That sure is a Purdy rifle bk!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Between the walnut and rosewood, it does stand out. )

404 ERROR
    MN

GB is really the only place I would sell a collectible. I have sold a handful of 1892’s on there. I used to cross post them on armslist, but the market for rarities is low there.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thank you Mr Eagle, that saved me some time. waytogo

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Interesting rifle to be sure.

Considering the documentation you have, the Ackley connection, and the rather interesting choice of the Sharps action, this may be one where it’s worth consulting an expert if you haven’t already and possibly paying for research and a valuation estimate.

You may want to consider consigning it with one of the larger firearms auctioneers like Rock Island if the value is believed to be there.

I would give an outfit like Puglisi in Duluth a call and seek their advice. With a rifle like this, if there’s a particularly good sale venue you could really increase the potential sale price.

Grouse

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I spoke with the folks at Rock Island. I’ll check in with the folks in Duluth though.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

North Mpls.

They are always looking for guns.

castle-rock-clown

I bought my Sako Finwolf on gunbroker. I paid a fair but top dollar amount. The site does get serious and well informed buyers. And since it an auction you can set a reserve price and see how it goes. Since it’s a single shot rifle, does it come with a one eyed dog?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.