Gun paint

• rubberduck
    east bethel

I want to camo up my 22-250. What’s the best paint that can take the heat of a hot barrel and also stick to a composite stock? Or what 2 paint would you ssuggest for either?RD

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I wouldn’t paint the barrel. With the heating/cooling and the shock of firing, I can’t see any paint sticking and it’ll just end up looking like heck. If you really want a different color, send it out and have it coated.

Plastic and synthetic stocks, I’ve painted with a low gloss spray paint and then used a sponge to dab other colors into the still damp base coat.

A common mistake I see is making the gun too dark with too many dark colors so it ends up looking like a big black gun from a distance. Especially bad if in a tree stand where you are backlit against a light sky or for snow camo. I use a light color as the “primary” and then put darker colors over the top for break up effect.

Grouse

Grouse

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

Have an A400 Beretta wrapped in a cloth camo for bird hunting. Often train/practice myself with this 12ga at the range firing 500 to 750 shells shooting 5stand/duck tower, no issue with the camo being too hot. 30k+ shells.

rubberduck
    east bethel

That def makes sense grouse! I would be totally fine with just the scope and stock painted.

As far as tones I like a lighter camo break up with darker over tones. Seems the best fit for multiple scenarios.
    Please feel free to correct me if.im wrong

rubberduck
    east bethel

The self sticking cloth tape works great! Have had good luck with it in the past.

ajw

Brownells makes a paint in a rattle can. There’s also cerekote that can be purchased in a rattle can or for an air brush. Follow the instructions and you’ll be good to go. I’ve painted a few AR’s with regular old krylon and it holds up fairly well if you do a thorough job of degreasing and when it does wear off you can shoot another coat on if you like or just rock the weathered look which can look pretty cool too.

tornadochaser

Krylon will hold up for a few years on the barrel.
    Duracoat will hold up longer.
    Cerakote will hold up the best, especially if applied to properly cleaned bare metal.

seriously though, just get some laundry bag mesh for a stencil and krylon if you’re not picky.

broth82

I’ve covered 2 of my guns in stealth strips, looks awesome and removable. Took maybe 30 mins to put on.

Attachments:
    1. 20200309_200930.jpg

2. 20200518_195246.jpg

rubberduck
    east bethel

Thamks for the different options! Prob gunna go with brownells rattle can and try cerakote on the barrel. Thanks guys toast

Red Eye

What about a hydro transfer dip? Guy i work with dod his kids .22. Many different camos and patterns to choose from.

rubberduck
    east bethel

Will look into hydro dip but think imma try my luck with said above. I really like the different options for patterns.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.