Gun Lake

• tk7

Pleased to report there were some active crappies last weekend. I found them hanging off the deep breaks suspended, mostly smaller fish, and snugged up tight in the weeds, 5-7 fow. The bigger fish all came on jig/minnow under the bobber, smaller ones on on pitched jigs in the pocket. All crappies swam free, saving the eaters for the kids in a couple of weeks.

Found most of the gills are running small this year, but biting everything in the lake. Hopefully everyone is practicing selective harvest so we can have some table fare in the years to come.

Talked to the DNR on the water Sunday morning, sounds like the walleye are still in trouble. I didn’t put any time into them but had got them off the dock in years past grouped with the gills and crappies off the weed edge. None in two years so far.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Good to hear. Havent been on Gun in a number of years but have been able to get out on Long Lake not to far from there the last couple of summers. On long in the past trolling deep running cranks right down the center of the lake can produce some walleyes in the summer time. Long is deep just like gun and some of the walleyes suspend. S turns or planner board can help to get the lures away from the boat as those lakes can run pretty clear.

tk7

Found crappies everywhere on the lake in 15-18 fow near weeds. No size though, mostly 4-6 inchers. Good for future fishing, bad for current frying pan. Jig and minnow, bright colors, didn’t try plastics but sure they would have worked too.

crappie todd

Im on Gun lake, on wonderland point. Ive had the place on the lake 21 years now. Im not up there in the winter as often but always everyweekend in the spring ie out thru fall. My son used to fish the crappie contest every year and won. Not hel anylonger because he was unbeatable..
    I used to get walleyes off my dock but that was 10 years ago. since a few years ago, the eyes have somewhat disappered.
    The crappies this year were running small ( less than 6 inches ) as a result of a good spawn from 2011. But still a few 10 inchers do remain.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.