Gull Lake area question

• shockers
    Rochester

Guys,

I convinced my extended family to rent a house on Lake Margaret (attached to Gull) next week. A few (not all) of us fish. I’m bringing my 16-foot tiller, and my brother is bringing his 17 foot inboard. I’ve never fished that area before and am just curious if you had any general tips for walleye and/or crappie in that area in terms of techniques. Is it primarily a night/evening bite? Jig and minnow? Just basic advice would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I don’t fish crappie this time of year but Margaret does have them.

For walleye my advice would be to use the channels to get to the north half of Gull.

Was out Saturday and Sunday. Mixed report, was able to get action but not necessarily walleyes. Spinners w/leeches or crawlers around the weedline was our preferred method. Others may use slip bobbers to get into the weeds after them. We didn’t have a ton of time so not sure about more main lake, bottom of the break type areas.

shockers
    Rochester

Thanks!

When you say spinners, do you mean spinners with bottom bouncers etc.?

patk
    Nisswa, MN

No something smaller and easier to snap through the weeds. Typically some type of sliding sinker although a couple of splitshot is also used. Everyone has their own preference.

Reverse this if you are below the weedline. Heavy walking sinkers or bottom bouncers would be good choices and 1-2 feet off the bottom.

Whether they are high or low in the water column will be a good question.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

@shockers

How about a report? Headed up tonight and wondering how motivated I should be to get out fishing? Have some cabin projects and waterskiing that could also be on the agenda.

shockers
    Rochester

Just got back. Sadly wasn’t able to fish as much as I wanted. Only fished Margaret for crappie. Pretty green/poor visibility there and mostly small crappie for me. Didn’t make it to gull but lots were busy. Was told to try by Ernies if I did go.

Good luck!

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

walleye

This should be a good start. Have never fished Gull real hard, but have done decent most weekends up there. A lot of my time is spent on some of these spots. Never have fished Margaret, however. Goodluck!

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Cant get the link to work. Google “gull lake walleye fishing” and find the link to 4 seasons resort.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.