guide spacing question

• Christian Slick

Wondering if someone would be able to help me out with spacing guides on a Thorne bros deadstick blank. I did ask them and they said 4 guides total but I’m not so sure of that number with a 34″ blank-6in handle. Has anyone built one that could comment how many guides and what sizes they did?

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Try 3″, 3″, 5″, 7″. Then run line through them and the tip top and out a load on the rod. If you don’t like how the line runs, reposition or add another guide. Play with positioning until you’re happy with how the line runs. It’s your rod, so build it the way you like.

curleytail

You can check out static load guide placement. Basically put your tip top on and load the rod with the line tied to the tip. Then put your guides on with line running through them and tie a weight on just heavy enough to straighten the line.

Adjust guide spacing till the line follows the curve of the blank with minimal flat spots. 4 guides total including the tip top doesn’t seem like enough for a 34 inch rod but Thorne knows their stuff so that may certainly work well.

Tucker

Christian Slick

put all 4 guides as they recommended for spacing and it seems fine. I think you could do 5 but it would probably just weigh it down a bit more and i want that tip to be light. Looks great

sheppy

I would suggest looking up Chris Stanton on Facebook. He wrote an app that does exactly what your asking for and is also very knowledgeable. Chris is a great guy and I know that he is willing to help people out and wants to help grow the rod building community. He does wrap rods for himself, DH Customs and also works with MudHole. This is a creaditable source!

Trevor

Christian Slick

I would suggest looking up Chris Stanton on Facebook. He wrote an app that does exactly what your asking for and is also very knowledgeable. Chris is a great guy and I know that he is willing to help people out and wants to help grow the rod building community. He does wrap rods for himself, DH Customs and also works with MudHole. This is a creaditable source!

Trevor

I actually used his guide for a 32” dh Gill seekr. Great resource. Wish provided more blanks but he obviously can’t do them all.

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

Lonnie will typically give you the measurements if you call and talk to him. I put 5 guides on a 31″ TB deadstick I built earlier this year so 4 does seem a little light.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.