GSP pees on himself

• Gitchi Gummi

I’m dogsitting my friends 4 year old male German shorthair pointer for a week and I’ve noticed that about half the time he pees, he goes all over his own front legs. I’m used to seeing male dogs lift their rear leg to the side when they pee. This GSP does that about half the time, but the other half the time he just blasts himself in his front legs without a care in the world.

A google search showed this is a somewhat common thing among male GSPs which is crazy to me. How can they not figure out how not to p*ss all over themselves? It’s not like we’re talking about a puppy.

Any male GSP owners out there that have run into this same problem? Not really looking to solve the problem as its not my dog and he goes home soon, more so just venting. Peeing on things (corners of buildings, vehicles, things around the yard and other dogs) is just one of the reasons why I’ll only ever own female dogs.

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

If male dogs get neutered before they develop the behavior of lifting their leg to pee on things they typically pee like a girl dog. Except male dog’s pecker points forward.

wkw

My son had a Visla that did the same thing about half the time. Mookies reply makes sense to me.

Gitchi Gummi

That makes sense mookie. I’m not sure when this gsp was neutered.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

My male lab started out squatting, then as he matured he lifted his leg and had a powerful stream. After neutering, he lifts his leg sometimes and other times squats or half squats with lifting his leg a little. The stream is not as forceful as before the neutering.

deertracker

Is R Kelly the owner of the dog by chance? whistling
    DT

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Is R Kelly the owner of the dog by chance?

This is in strong contention for post of the year! rotflol

Gerty

My male GSP got neutered late and still squats to pee 95% of the time. He also pees on his front legs quite often.

CaptainMusky

Ive had GSPs, all males, for 40 years. None of them neutered and I dont ever remember any of them ever doing this.

Gitchi Gummi

None of them neutered

that might be the difference there!

I didnt realize you were a big GSP guy. Do you hunt with your dog(s)?

CaptainMusky

I didnt realize you were a big GSP guy. Do you hunt with your dog(s)?

Not nearly enough. Only went out twice this year. Love the breed, very smart, obviously energetic so they are not for everyone.

Gitchi Gummi

very smart, obviously energetic so they are not for everyone.

you summed it up very well. I absolutely love hunting behind a GSP but their overall energy and temperament is something I don’t know if I could put up with year round.

CaptainMusky

you summed it up very well. I absolutely love hunting behind a GSP but their overall energy and temperament is something I don’t know if I could put up with year round.

The one I have now is the calmest one I have ever owned. Granted now he is 8 years old, but he doesnt go half nuts and never really has. He cannot be in the house though. He eats socks, underwear and anything else lying around. He would kill himself.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

My male GSP got neutered late and still squats to pee 95% of the time.

Both of the males we’ve had were neutered @ 18 months. Generally, they would/do squat when they are peeing but lift their leg when they’re marking. In other words, when they just go out to pee in the yard, they usually squat, but when we are out and about where there are smells of other dogs and interesting things to pee on, they lift their leg.

Our Great Dane frequently peed on his front paws–so much that one of his nicknames was Peepaw. rotflol Our Spinone very rarely hits his paws.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.