Grilling Pizza!

• koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Ive been grilling Neapolitan pizza on both my Weber Kettle and Masterbuilt gravity 560.

Same dough recipe, using 00 flour. Make the dough the night before. Let it rest for at least an hour then separate it into 3 smaller dough balls and put it in the fridge overnight. Pull them out and let it warm up to room temperature for around 4 hours before you make the pizzas.

Ive been using the Weber for years. It makes a wonderful pizza. Adding wood chunks to the charcoal gets the temps around 800 degrees. I’m guessing at the temp because the temp gauge goes up to 650 and the needle is way past that. I can cook a pizza in about 4 minutes.

The Masterbuilt gets up to 700 degrees. It takes about 6 to 9 minutes to cook a pizza. Whats appealing about the Masterbuilt is you have a controlled 700 degrees.

The Weber temp drops off and you have to add charcoal and wood if you’re cooking a bunch of pizzas. You tend to rush getting the next pizza ready with the Weber.

After one cook on each grill the Weber pizza does a better job. The crust turns out crispy with the edge being light and airy inside.

One more cook tonight using the Masterbuilt just to make sure.

Attachments:
    1. 20210410_172403.jpg

2. masterbuilt-turkey-sausage-pepperoni-scaled.jpg

3. masterbuilt-black-bean-bbq-chicken-scaled.jpg

4. weber-blue-cheese-buffalo-chicken-scaled.jpg

5. turkey-pepperoni-scaled.jpg

6. 20170701_124030-scaled.jpg

7. 20200717_111804.jpg

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Looks amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

40 years ago everyone thought I was insane grilling pizzas. About time people catch on to a good thing

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

where did you get that middle piece insert for the Weber?? I need one of those!

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

One of the perks to working in a fabrication shop. I watched a video on YouTube and made one.

The company that makes them is called Kettle Pizza.

You need a high temp pizza stone. Brinkman makes one. I bought it at Home Depot for around $15.00

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Pizza rolls are excellent on the grill. Gotta watch and flip em though.

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>G_Smitty wrote:</div>

One of the perks to working in a fabrication shop. I watched a video on YouTube and made one.

The company that makes them is called Kettle Pizza.

You need a high temp pizza stone. Brinkman makes one. I bought it at Home Depot for around $15.00

found them on Amazon… will likely order one. I am a bit crazy about my Weber grill and outdoor cooking… Do you have a pan above the oven portion, to get the heat up in the box?

ThunderLund78

Looks outstanding! I love wood fire and coal fire pizzas!

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Thanks guys, now I have a hankering for pizza.

I’ve been using a pizza stone for about 10 years and cook them often in the summer on the gas grill with the smoker box going. Mmmmmm!!!

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Tonight’s pizza on the Masterbuilt. Just as good as the Weber this time.

Consistency with proofing the dough is huge. The dough was pulled out of the fridge today at 11:30 and placed on the counter until I stretched it at 5:30.

Attachments:
    1. 20210416_182743-scaled.jpg

2. 20210416_183423-scaled.jpg

bigpike

Do you heat your stone in the grill and add pizza or do you make the za on the stone and put it in cold?

tim hurley

Need a grill like that!
    What is the little propane tank for? Does that just help the coals get started?

FryDog62

We switched over about 2 years ago to pizza on the stone in a Weber… got spoiled, anything else now just doesn’t stack up!

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

found them on Amazon… will likely order one. I am a bit crazy about my Weber grill and outdoor cooking… Do you have a pan above the oven portion, to get the heat up in the box?

[/quote]

Just the kettle lid resting on the pizza cooker.

You can find videos on Youtube about the Kettle Pizza cooker.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Do you heat your stone in the grill and add pizza or do you make the za on the stone and put it in cold?

You want to have the stone hot when you put the pizza on it.

I have 2 pizza peels. I make a pizza on one while I’m using the other one to rotate the cooking pizza.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Need a grill like that!
    What is the little propane tank for? Does that just help the coals get started?

Gas assist to light the coals. It works great.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

If you load them grills up, and all your pizzaria stuff, head over to the gtg next Saturday! We will all gladly assist you in taste testing those awesome pizzas!

Netguy
    Minnetonka

My second pizza stone just broke. It had been cracked for a awhile and I was babying it to keep it going.
    Has anyone tried a pizza steel?

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

My second pizza stone just broke. It had been cracked for a awhile and I was babying it to keep it going.
    Has anyone tried a pizza steel?

What kind of temps are you cooking your pizza at?

The brinkman pizza stone has worked great. Ive been using the same stone for about 5 years now. I’m guessing at least 50 pizzas on it.

Around $15.00 at Home Depot.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

450 in the oven
    I know it doesn’t take much to crack them. Mine was cracked so I was babying it. I had it in the drawer below the oven. I had my stove worked on and the guy must have set? that drawer down hard when he took it out. When I went to use the stone the next day, it was in 2 pieces.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Nothing’s better than grilling pizza

Attachments:
    1. 20190608_201144-scaled.jpg

2. 20190608_201237-scaled.jpg

dewman90

how are you transferring the made pizza onto the hot stone?

I have tried lots of flour but the dough is still sticking and i am distorting the pizza when transferring onto the stone

Don Carlisle
    Aitkin mn

How about sharing to recipe for the dough please

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

how are you transferring the made pizza onto the hot stone?

I have tried lots of flour but the dough is still sticking and i am distorting the pizza when transferring onto the stone

Sprinkle some corn meal or semolina flour on your pizza peel. Put the pizza on your peel and give it a slight shake to make sure it slides.

Make sure you clean the crud off of your pizza stone before you cook another pizza.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

How about sharing to recipe for the dough please

Makes 3 Neapolitan pizzas, 10 – 12 inches

3 cups of 00 flour
    1 teaspoon of yeast – instant or dry active
    1 cup of warm water – add yeast and let it set for a few minutes while you measure out your flour
    Once all of the above are in the mixer and being mixed I add:
    1 teaspoon of sea salt
    1 tablespoon of olive oil
    3-4 more tablespoons of water

You want the dough to be on the sticky side

Pull it out and knead it for a minute or so just to make sure its mixed and smooth.
    Place the dough ball in a bowl, coat it with a little bit of olive oil and let it rest covered for at hour or 2. Make sure its an hour minimum.

Once its rested for an hour minimum I split it into 3 dough balls. Coat the dough balls with a bit of olive oil and place them in a plastic container with a lid big enough to let the dough expand a little. A few inches between each ball is fine.

I usually ferment it in the fridge covered for 2 -3 days. Its good if you make it same day but its better if it sits for a few days.

Take it out of the fridge and let it set out covered for at least 3 hours before you use it.

You may want to watch a few videos on YouTube on how to hand press the dough out.

tim hurley

If you dare you can put the dough right on the grill, the trick is to coat it with some corn meal, we quickly toast both sides then add ingredients-good stuff.

Johnie Birkel
    South metro

For a gas grill or pellet is there anything needed other than the stone directly on the grates? I see some stainless “vent” type things that appear to catch the heat on the sides and push it back on the top of the pizza but not a lot of intel on if they are actually needed.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Just the stone on the grates on a gas grill for me.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

A high temp stone if you’re using it on a grill.

Jeff Gilberg

Try making the crust on a piece of parchment paper, just cut it with a scissors so I doesn’t hang over your stone. after the pie has cooked for a couple of minutes, remove it and let the pie sit directly on the stone. this works great at 475 degrees I haven’t tried it hotter but if it doesn’t overhang it should be fine. I hate the mess cornmeal makes.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.