Green Lake report, Spicer

• Fife
    Ramsey, MN

After 20 walleyeless hours on the lake in May, I gave it another try over the July 4th weekend. Saturday I got on the lake at about 9 am. Marked a lot of fish in the 25 ft to 30 ft depth. After going to shore to get some bait, I started fishing at about 10. The fish I had marked disappeared, but I tried it anyway and ended up not getting a bite. Put the underwater camera down and saw some smallmouth about 5 feet off the bottom. I also noticed that the weed growth started in 25 ft. pretty consistently. I got back on the water at 8:30 Saturday night. I pulled up next to 5 boats where I marked fish in the morning. I backtrolled with a leech and glow bead combo. I boated two 16 inch eaters and released two smaller fish in about an hour. All of these fish were caught in 24 ft of water within a boat length of each other. Sunday morning my dad and I were on the lake at 6 am in the same spot from the night before. My dad used the rig that I had from the night before and I tried a crawler. I caught 4 walleyes with the biggest measuring 16 inches. My dad’s leech rig produced two walleyes 19 and 14 inches. We never caught another walleye after 8 am. Most of the fish came in about 27 ft of water with one coming as deep as 41 feet. All of the walleyes justed tapped the line, but after a five count of line every hook was swallowed. Only one hook is needed for the crawler and leech rig. We were fishing the Castle Flats area. The fishing wasn’t fantastic, but we were the only boat catching walleyes. Hope this helps.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Bigfife

For those that trust their electronics, your report just spoke a mouthful. Good report.

EyeWish

Fished Green Saturday morning for about 3 hours. Caught 6 smallies on top of the reefs in about 8-10 ft Caught on brown tubes and slip bobber with leach and circle hook. Nice size fish 15 – 18 ” also picked up one northern about 22″. This was my first time on this lake and I was quite pleased with the quality of the fish. Water temp was 70.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.