Green Lake Report

• Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I fished a walleye tournament on Green Lake this weekend so I was on the water June 4-6. There are a lot of hungry walleyes in the lake. We had our best fishing before 9 am. On Friday we caught two nice 16 inch fish in 20 mins. and moved on to check out new water. These two were in 42 ft. around castle flat. The next two fish came out of 25 ft. on a bar near Spicer. Both of these fish were 19 inches. Saturday, day one of the tournament, we caught 5 walleyes from a little after 7 to 8. Only one fish was large enough to weigh. The rest of the afternoon was very slow, with only a couple little ones. Sunday, we fished around castle flat all day. The fish were again in 42 ft. of water. We managed 5 fish over the 14 inch minimum mark. We stayed in the same area all day long and picked one off every now and then. We caught a few of our fish on Shiners, but most of them came on nightcrawlers.

The big fish of the tournament was 7.87 lbs. and the winning weight was 22.56 lbs. We had a total weight of 8.04 lbs, which put us somewhere around 25th place of 48 boats. Pretty good improvement from not weighing a fish last year.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Nice job on the tourney and the report! Were the deeper eyes suspended or on the bottom…

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Thanks, I was beginning to think that nobody ever read this forum. The fish were within 2 feet of the bottom the entire time. We did mark some fish 6-8 ft. off the bottom, but with all the bass in the lake, we decided that they weren’t walleyes. Too hard to fish them also.

This lake is an awesome bass lake and I am suprised that nobody ever talks about it on this site. I will be up there on the 4th of July if anyone wants to hit some bass or walleyes.

crankin
    Olivia, MN

I fish the area but spend little time on green. I am on diamond four days a week most of the time and fish kandi a good chunk too. I could possibly do some fishin with you over the fourth because I will more than likly be staying somewhere nearby. This all depends on work of course but keep it in mind and let me know your plans.

paff
    owatonna, mn.

I grew up on green and since the protection on the small mouth i have fished it rarely. we used to be able to shore fish with great success in the spring “my grand mothers cabin” and we used to catch 20 to 60 eyes a night. but now that is gone. now if you catch 1 or 2 a night they may be bigger but it is hard to keep the young anglers intrested. maybe green is too far from the classic bass lakes for anyone to fish it who would make a report….i don’t know. all i know is that it used to be a great walleye lake and that is over now. i spend a lot of time in the area during the summer and fall and have not fished it in 3 years.
    ok i have vented…..sorry if i bored you
    paff

TravisLohre

Fish adapt to changes and so do fisherman if they want to be successful. I also grew up on the lake and know were to find walleye. All of the classic spots for walleyes are gone you are right at that. They have moved and shifted to new and different locations and I suggest you do the same. Or just keep complaining like many other walleye fisherman that can’t figure this out.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Ghostzapper, I am looking forward to reading some reports from Green. I am out there 5-10 weekends a year and always have a blast. I put together a very good pattern last year and I am sure it will work again. 6-10 walleyes in a few hours doesn’t bother me. I only started fishing the lake seriously 4 years ago, so I guess I can’t complain.

TravisLohre

Hey, Bigfife if your looking for some spots I can help you out, that tourney is coming soon.

paff
    owatonna, mn.

boy I forgot I vented way back then. I wish I had the time to re-learn the lake…..but as time goes it is better spent on other things when I am up there. my niece’s husband fishes league on green and he does fish it alot and he agrees with the rest of the public on the walleye situation. most of the time one legal walleye will win the evening of league.
    most people do not like to fish 30+ feet of water to catch fish…..or most people are not that good at summer fishing……winter if you know the spots you can get them and they are usally nice fish……but there was a time when you could still fish a classic shallow bite am-pm all year…..but not anymore……bass that are not very good to eat…..(in my opinion)but not legal to keep for those who would like to. I have always been a numbers guy (the little kid in me)and like to catch lots of fish. now I have to fish else where to have the fun I seek in the time constriants that I have. IMHO
    paff

TravisLohre

paff, that wasn’t really directed toward you more of the public in general. I never fish deeper then 30 ft on Green Lake, ever. But I’ll give you it’s frustrating. It’s a lot like fishing a spot on a spot. Certain little areas hold only walleye or bass, then you have many others that hold both species. For example I have a spot on the west side of the flats in 20-26ft that in the past 5 years I’ve caught around 150 walleyes and 2 smallmouth and that’s the honest god truth. Two other sand points on the east side of the lake in 7-10ft that have produced around 50 walleyes with never catching a smallmouth. It’s about putting in your time and really knowing the lake. I try to tell guy’s to think of spots in the past were they never caught a smallmouth becuase if you caught 2 there now there’s a hundred. Fishing deep doesn’t work either I know guy’s that catch smallies in 32-35ft all the time. Here’s my post, I went out last Wednesday in the rain and wind and caught 28 walleye’s, but no need to say where, how, or what, becuase there’s nothing but smallmouth in Green.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I agree that there are a ton of bass in the lake, but the walleye fishing is still really good. I have only been fishing the lake for 5 years now and last summer was my best yet. I guess time on the water is starting to pay off. Now I just need a boat that is easier to control so I can stay on those spots on the spot. Ghostzapper, I wish I shared your fishing fortune. I have never had a 28 fish day out there. I also have not been fortunate enough to catch a lot of fish in less than 30 fow. I am sure you have put in a lot more time than I have. My grandparents are remodeling their cabin so it looks like I will be fishing this lake for a long time to come.

crankin
    Olivia, MN

Last year I thought was a pretty good bite. It was deep as normal but it seemed like you could get bit easily if you were on top of them. Most of what I do is on pretty steep structure so I vertical jig most of the time. As far as snells go how long of leaders is anyone else using out there with the clarity? Ive caught fish with 4 footers but I hear people preaching about long rigs. Ghostzapper, if you or anyone out there wants to hook up and hit green sometime I would be up for that. Ive just started fishin the lake hard the last couple of years and I guess I dont know how it was back then like people talk, and I couldnt agree more with the better fisherman will do what it takes to find fish. I am not fishin the local tournamnet but I should be in the walleye cup, I fished redwing earlier.

TravisLohre

How’d the tourney go on green. I’ve been so busy sorry I didn’t get back to you.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

We only weighed two fish all weekend, but it was still a good time. I had three very good spots last weekend and there were no fish on them this weekend. I wasted a lot of time going to these spots and looking and looking for fish. They just vanished. We fished near the leaders on Sunday and watched them boat all of their fish in an hour. About a dozen boats were pulling in fish left and right. The winners had right around 28 lbs.

Steve Vick
    New London, MN

I was on Green twice last week screwing around. Did spot a few smallies on their beds and just had to catch a couple! Pretty easy pickings. Found some nice gills in the weeds also. Never tried walleye, was just out cruising in the boat with the wife relaxing. Would love to try and spend more time there and figure that lake out.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.