grass river lodge

• zachary Wietzema

Me and my father are going up and staying in grass river lodge on reed lake manitoba. We are taking a guide for 4 days. I was just wondering if anybody has been there previously and what they thought. Also if you have could you tell me how the guide fishes to catch northerns or how he fishes to catch walleye. Thanks!

big_g
    Isle, MN

I have been a couple hundred miles north of there many times… near Lynn Lake, MB. We only use Orange or White jigs with tails for walleye and daredevil’s for pike. When I have been with a guide up there, they like to use frozen minnows for walleye and daredevil’s for pike… they SELL the frozen minnows to you… I out fished them regularly with no frozen minnows. crazy Have fun !!!

(for daredevil’s, 5 of Diamonds and the Old Black/White work best for us)

Ron Green

Hey Zachary, I been there 5 times already and plan to go again as I have not been there in many yearsfish. I been fishing Texas in the winter,lol (I am from Chicago). The guides like to use Suicks and crank baits, spoons, etc. The usuall bass equipment you use in the states works fine. I 90% of the time with spinner baits and buzz baits at Grass River Lodge. Mepps spinners are killers. I always take my ultra light rod with 6 pound test line for walleyes but I specifically use it for fun on them northerns. Biggest I got on that ultra light is 43 inches at 21 pounds. Make sure you use wire leaders. spoons work great but will snag weeds. Spinner baits and buzz baits give you top water strikesw that are awesome. Make sure you fish Buck’s bay and Jackfish bay, both are pretty much straight east of the lodge.

Walleyes are ok, if that is what you are in to, try them next to the northerns and you will like the northerns better. Many of the guides will tell you the northerns are better too but they know most people want to go for walleyes for the lunch and the big guys for trophys. Not me. Pike are my fave fish to eat, them and the occasional largemouth bass. The walleyes are usually caught on frozen minnows, they hook them with big 3/8 oz plain leadhead jigs hooked through both eyes and then through the body. they end up horizontal but the fish dont care. they gobble them up. forget everything you every heard about them looking alive, or natural, orhow to entice them etc. They gobble them up like scavengers. they are the predator and eat anything. Dont look for magic colors from northland etc or special plastics etc. You will catch a ton of fish off good islands most of the time. if the fishing slows all of a sudden then a northern has entered the area. Our best fishing was in the Grass River west of the lodge. Just fish and you will have fun. A bad day there is better than any good day in the states.

I too fish the minimum days there. You will catch so many fish that you will get sick of it. Bring a bug zapper and put it on the kitchen table. Any skeeters that get in at night will be attracted away from the bedroom and get zapped. no skeeters on the lake but they are out in force as the sun goes down.

A fly out to a small lake is nice and you will catch lots of smaller fish but you will also catch lots of fish on the main lake with much higher potential for huge fish. There is no need to spend the extra money to fly out. I have done it a couple times in my 20 days or so of fishing there. I go on vacation to not have to work. You will clean and cook your fish and take care of yourself. At the lodge they will take care of you and feed you awesome meals. You fish all day and then come in to eat while they clean your fish and feed you. You get pampered there. Thats what vacation is for. Enjoy it.

Ask Ike about how Ron Green scared the bejeezis out of guide Dale with the bass boat ride way back about 1985-6. He was not used to going 60mph what took 30 minutes getting to Bucks bay in their boats took us only 10. Ike still tells that story when I am there and clients get a good laugh out of it. You see boats on the horizon but when they saw the rooster tail they knew who was out there. that was back when they had both light housekeeping and American plans. We did both. Always a good time there. Enjoy and have a great time with your dad. that is truly what it is all about. It isn’t jsut about the fish. They will be there.

Oops, I see your post was a year ago. maybe you went already. let me know how you did and what you thought. If you havent gone yet then what are you waiting for?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.