grass killer for food plot

• abster71
    crawford county WI

I put in a new plot this spring clover chicory and was wondering what’s a good spray to use to knock down kill the grass that’s coming up. Read some reviews that were mixed, just wondering what your thoughts were. First time planting in the spring for me normally do clover in the fall. It filled in nicely but it appears to have stalled out, is that normal?

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Clethodim will kill the grass in a clover plot real well. Use that per the label with some crop oil and it should take care of any grass.

Have you mowed the clover at all. It might just be at it’s mature height and not really stalled out, depending on what type of clover you planted. Has it flowered yet? It never hurts to mow clover at about 4-6″ high(except for right before a hot dry spell). mowing will make it thicker and give new more palletable growth for the deer.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Correction, I re read your post and see you have chicory in your clover so skip the crop oil, that will hurt the chicory. Instead use a Surfactant with the clethodim to kill the grasses.

Clethodim is a little spendy($60/gallon) so maybe try just mowing first to set back the grasses. If that doesn’t work then you can try spraying. I normally only mow my clover to keep the weeds and grasses in check, but I have sprayed a 1/2 dose of glyphosate on it when the grasses get really bad. Clover is naturally gly resistant, but chicory is not. My clover plots don’t have chicory.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

As Sticker says, Clethodim is the go-to grass killer for clover.

I don’t have any personal experience in spraying it, but from reading various accounts online it seems that following the manual in terms of how to spray, when to spray it, etc, seems to have a big impact on success. Since the per acre cost is relatively high, this is one where I think it’d pay to do some careful reading of the use guide before buying.

Grouse

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.