Grand Rapids Area Trip

• glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Hi folks coming up to the Grand Rapids area next week to see family and fish. Any suggestions in that area for perch ? I’m willing to drive a little and I have plenty of walleye in the freezer so I’m concentrating on perch or panfish in general if the perch don’t cooperate. Thanks for any help – Glenn

glenn57
    cold spring mn

since Gino lives in grand rapids hope he chimes in. i dont fish the lakes around the rapids area but winnie is a go to perch lake. i stick close to the cabin area, 40 miles NE of there. pokegama right in or by grand rapids is a good panfish lake…..if you can find them.

there’s a pile of lakes in that area and a few bait shops, check with them also!!!!!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’m not familiar with the GR area lakes, but Winnie isn’t too far and has a good amount of perch. We caught a bunch while walleye fishing last month, not much size but we weren’t targeting them specifically either.

Snake ii’s

Try Shallow Lake, just south of GR. Hit the northeast end of the lake. The bull rushes around the docks have great crappie fishing as well.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Pokegama is loaded with perch of ALL sizes. Fish them shallow or deep. Winnie and leech are the more “popular” perch lakes though and also produce ALL sizes.

munchy
    NULL

Bowstring and Jessie

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Pokegama is loaded with perch of ALL sizes. Fish them shallow or deep. Winnie and leech are the more “popular” perch lakes though and also produce ALL sizes.

Charlie what ramp is the best one on Pokegama ? I have a 620 Ranger I tried the Tioga a few years ago and couldn’t launch. Ended up going to Splithand.

matt

Not sure what the water levels are like this summer but last summer we barely got a 2075 pro guide in Splithand.We had no issues at Mishwaka Rd or Sherrys Arm landings on Pokeg.Good luck,definately plenty of perch there to keep ya busy.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Charlie W wrote:</div>

Charlie what ramp is the best one on Pokegama ? I have a 620 Ranger I tried the Tioga a few years ago and couldn’t launch. Ended up going to Splithand.

I’m surprised you couldn’t get in tioga. Try Mishawaka and kings landing by the golf course. Sherrys arm should be fine too. There’s also one down the wendigo arm if all else fails.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Thanks Charlie it was my trailer frame that was hitting there so didn’t want to tear anything up.

THANKS so much for all the info help guys !

tim hurley

So when i launch with my Z-cord i just back up till she floats off then I slowly pull forward, so it really would not matter how low the lake is or how shallow the launch is-interesting that the frame was hitting, would think the boat would float off before that would happen. Oh, the only way I think I would have a problem is if their was a lot of mud.Good Luck

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Tim it wasn’t the problem with it hitting when the trailer was in the water it was the angle of going from the gravel to the first couple slabs of concrete it was a pretty nasty angle.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Winnie would be a good destination for perch, splithand would be another good stop to make for panfish.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Winnie would be a good destination for perch, splithand would be another good stop to make for panfish.

Thanks Gino !

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Thanks for all the suggestions guys we had a great trip fishing and visiting the wife’s sister ! Brought home a good amount of panfish which was just what we wanted. Crazy bad storm the evening before we left with lots of big beautiful pine trees uprooted in town and power out but no one in our group hurt and hopefully no one in town either. Glenn

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.