Conversion Solutions?

• Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

I’m running a Garmin 62st handheld for ice fishing with the last Garmin compatible LakeMaster chip. I live in the Keweenaw Peninsula of MI and while the chip has coverage for inland waters, it does not have coverage for Keweenaw or Huron Bays of Lake Superior itself. Other more popular great lake water, it does, such as Grand Traverse, Little and Big Bays de Noc of Lake Michigan and Saginaw Bay of Lake Huron for example.

The Garmin Blue Chart chip which would cover at least a portion of Keweenaw Bay has a 3 mile offshore limit but I don’t want to pay $160 for a chip that a) only provides partial coverage, and b) is needed for such a relatively small hole in my data coverage. The Navionics chip for the area would be great but doesn’t have compatibility with Garmin. Does anybody know if there’s any way to do a localized data pull and then convert Navionics data into something compatible with Garmin? Is there another solution that I’m overlooking? Any help would be appreciated.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Sorry no answers here… That sucks and in a location that I can’t wait to fish!!!

Mark

super_do
    St Michael, MN

An app on your phone?

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

Hadn’t thought of that. I’d prefer to keep things to one device but this might be my only option. Looks like Navionics chips are even more expensive than Garmin but they’re available for many platforms and am guessing it’s a Garmin issue on the data vs. Navionics. Wonder if Garmin is cutting off their nose to spite their face on this

Anywho, thanks. I’ll see if Navionics will play nice with my Blackberry.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Before you buy the app, I would make sure you have good service in the area you want the mapping data.

FDR

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

Quote:

Before you buy the app, I would make sure you have good service in the area you want the mapping data.

FDR

Define “good”. ;-) But yes, I had already thought of that in the interim as coverage could and probably would be an issue with Huron Bay which is a bit more remote.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.