GPAS Anchor System Reviews?

• TMF89

Hey guys, so I’m looking to pick up some sort of anchor bungee/shock absorber. I see that GPAS and Anchor Shock are the two most popular, and I like the idea of the GPAS because you’re not tying knots in your anchor line. I’m just wondering if anyone has any experience with the GPAS (or Anchor Shock or others), especially in river systems? I’m wondering if a heavy current would just stretch the thing out completely over time. Thanks for any advice!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I make my own for a fraction of what these sell for and no knots necessary… But I’ll tell ya, with an anchor shock absorber your Anchor will hold double what it would before.

Mine are adjustable for the variety of anchoring I do so it is never too stiff or sloppy

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

I use one for the walleye chop on Lake Winnebago. I have noticed it does help the anchor hold compared to when I have not had the GPAS in the past. No experience in current but my understanding is that it was to help with the anchor in waves not current.

D

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Yessir. When using a rope to anchor, and about wake hits the boat, the boat rises and jerks on the anchor. Typically moving it unless it is jammed.

Add that shock absorber and there’s now room for your boat to bounce up and down.

It is like setting the hook with mono vs braid…

TMF89

FishBlood, given your name and pic (nice flathead!), I assume you’ve ran yours on rivers plenty with no issues? Obviously the elasticity in each system is probably fairly different, but it’s good to know they can still work in rivers.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

GPAS hand down. Better material and no knots. Been using for years. Never had issues. Also allows you to let more line out because your not attached to the boat. So you can adjust easier and quicker.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Watch the Midwest outdoors videos on YouTube about Gpas. Has a river episode on rainy.

TMF89

Mike, great points! I heard about them on Midwest Outdoors, I suppose if I had paid closer attention, I could have answered my own question! Thanks for the input guys, looks like a GPAS is in my future.

Buckeye1

I have a similar system. I think it is called Drop N Stay. Used it twice worked great, then brought a Terrova with spot lock and haven’t used in years.

Probably would be willing to sell.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.