Gotta Start Somewhere

• Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

Well it’s no speed demon, no big water beast and it’s older than me but it floats,runs and it’s perfect for my small lakes panfish and occasional river outings. Purchased my first boat, 1987 Blue Fin 14ft aluminum. Pretty basic three bench set up, rated up to a 25hp. Currently has an Envinrude Fisherman 6hp on it that runs great. And as the title says you gotta start somewhere.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20170704_133155403-2.jpg

2. IMG_20170701_130246578.jpg

3. IMG_20170701_143456633_HDR.jpg

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

If it floats and moves, that is all that matters. Congratulations!

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Nic,
    Congratulations. Bet a lot of us started much that same way. Looks like my first boat except I never was sure what brand mine was. Enjoy

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Congrats on the boat my friend — now fish the heck out of it!

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Nice! looks to be in pretty good shape too. My cousin has a similar boat and outfishes me in my 30+k boat every day. Enjoy!

404 ERROR
    MN

Congrats! When the time comes to upgrade, DO NOT sell this one! I’m so glad I kept my little 14′ Alumacraft. It still gets used multiple times a year. Not to mention the hundreds of ducks that have been shot out of it. Should serve you well for many years.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Congratulations on the new (to you) boat. Enjoy

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

congrats. looks like it’ll catch fish as eagle posted don’t sell it a small boat comes in dang handy even if you ever get a bigger boat down the road.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Have a ’67 lund 14ft one thing that has worked good is have some boards between the rear bench and middle make it easier to walk and stand on light weight. have a board cut to fit between transom and rear bench with some outdoor carpet on it put anchor and gas tank on keeps everything level and put. have a somewhat triangle piece of wood on the floor in the front to make it flat without adding much weight.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

He11 yea! Being close to the water in a smaller boat is a good feeling you miss in a bigger fishing boat. Bench seats rock. I grew up on an Evinrude 6.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I think we all started with something similar, although I was lucky in that the boat I learned to fish out of had the big motor. A 9.9 hp rotflol

bowtecmike
    Zimmerman mn

Congrats I started with a 14′ boat with a 87′ Johnson 6hp still have the motor on one of my duck boats! That was at age 16 I’m now 30 and have a warrior 208 and I can honestly say some of my best memories and good times was still in that little old boat! If I could go back to that day I would! I felt like a man at 16 with my own boat doesn’t matter size or power get on the water and enjoy everything it has to offer! Congrats on your first boat good for you!

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

congratulations! Reminds me of my first boat 14′ 1970’s starcraft and 7.5hp sea king.

robby
    Quad Cities

I think she’s beautiful! Whats her name? Congrats.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I still have my first boat 1973 14 ft alumacraft bench seats and a 1977 evinrude 9.9 IT has had many adventures. Mille lacs Vermilion, Boundary waters countless lakes and rivers and duck sloughs. I always will have it. Can’t wait for grandson to be old enough to learn boating in it. There is just something magical about a small boat to learn in.

Mwal

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

There is just something magical about a small boat to learn in.

I can honestly say some of my best memories and good times was still in that little old boat! If I could go back to that day I would! I felt like a man at 16 with my own boat doesn’t matter size or power get on the water and enjoy everything it has to offer

Agree with everyone else here, congrats!! woot

Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

I think she’s beautiful! Whats her name? Congrats.

Not official yet but thinking of a play on words such as got2start somewhere or new2me those seem a little license plate like but I’m working on it.

Iowaboy1

awesome Nic !! my first small v-bottom was a fourteen foot starcraft with a 7.5 evinrude.
    that ‘rude started every time without fail and would take me anywhere I wanted to go,lake,river,reservoir it didnt matter.
    I have to echo what others have said,if I could go back to those days I would.

enjoy !!

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

First boat was a 1958 14 ft C-liner with a late 70’s 7.5 Evenrude. Ran that boat everywhere. Including Mille Lacs. Used put it in the lake right off the road near Rocky Reef. Congrats!

-J.

kabefisherman11

3 things I have for you. First congrats on ur boat. Second remember being a small boat you don’t need much of a launch to get her in the water. Third no power trim means if you accidently hit something the motor will pop up instead of getting shredded. Anyway that’s awesome enjoy ur new boat.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Every month when guys are scratching out that check for their boat payment they will be thinking of you! applause

Well done!

bullcans
    Northfield MN

That’s awesome Man!
    Most of us on here can appreciate what you just bought.
    It’s exciting to know that you won’t have to throw a bunch of money into it to catch fish, keep it simple, cheap, and fun.
    That’s what it’s all about!
    Congrats!

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Name suggestion: new fin!

Just climbed out of the 14′ here tonight good times casting under trees and simply pushing off the branches when drifting into them

Floor that son of a gun!

tim hurley

Name her after your wife, then you cn say you take out (insert name) all the time! But seriosly folks, every boat is the perfect one for some body of water (thats why some of us have a hard time selling any boat) so find some skinny water or a bad access-i was online looking at the Mississippi at Monticello and was thinking I wish I had a set up like yours—
    CONGRATS

Aaron Kalberer

Great boat! I upgraded from a 14′ with identical motor to a 16′ starcraft that I refurbished. I still have the 14′ boat and use it quite often actually. As others have stated, do not sell it when it is time to upgrade they are great boats to have around for small bodies of water or quick trips. Mine is always hooked to the truck so I can just go when I get home from work. Congrats and enjoy!

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Way to go!

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Fish don care what your boat looks like or costs.

Iowaboy1

Fish don care what your boat looks like or costs.

truer words have yet to be spoken !

Frog farm

That is a fine boat, congratulations!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.