Got a few Slabs

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

After only being out ice fishing 2 times this season, a buddy and I decided to make a full day of it on Sat. We were on the road by 6:00 am. Our first stop was about 2Hr’s north. 1st lake ended up being mostly a bust. We did manage a few decent sunfish but not near the size or volume we were hoping for. Packed up and headed another lake about 45 minute drive away. Got to the lake. The normal person who normally plows roads did not have a road plowed. Checked the access and it did not look like anyone other than 4 wheelers were driving out. Being a REALLY long walk to where we wanted to fish and not seeing anyone else even on the lake, it was off to lake #3 about another 45 minute drive away. Got there and there was a ton of houses and Trucks all over the lake. Tried a spot we did well late ice last year and all we could catch were small perch and a few tiny sunfish. Tried several other spots where there was lots of houses. No luck at all. Of to lake # 4 another 45 minute drive away. Once again a ton of houses and trucks out. Drove to a spot we have done well in the past and managed to mark fish. Was not a real hot bite, but managed to grind out a meal or so of sunfish and crappies. Overall a grind of a day and not enough fish to show for all the miles we put on. I think our total mileage for the day was around 325 Miles. Picture was of a few of the crappies we had. The smallest one pictured was about 11.5 and the largest was close to 13″ and weighed 1Lb. 5 Oz. Oh well that’s fishing. Was a nice day to be out.

Attachments:
    1. Slab-crappies-Jan-2024.jpg

CaptainMusky

My son got out Saturday with a friend and as usual my son did most of the catching. Lots of sunnies and crappies and all were decent sized. He loved using my active target, but was having some issues with it turning off at first, but then the last part of the day it was fine. NOt sure what was going on, but he said it was awesome to use. He let his friend keep all the fish they caught.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

He let his friend keep all the fish they caught.

I let my buddy keep ours as well. He’s going to try smoking the Crappies. Hope it turns out well, I’ve never had smoked Crappies

CaptainMusky

Interesting about smoking crappies. Never would think about smoking one. Typically its just oily fish I would think about do that, but let us know how they turn out.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Agreed on oily fish for the smoker but my uncle smokes crappies and they are good. Just don’t overdo them.

BrianF

Thumper, that’s dedication! Very impressive!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Holding those fish that far out sure makes them look like 17s. We like to do long day trips as well. Some times it works for us and sometimes we wonder what we were thinking

tim hurley

You guys are grinders-congrats-could have stayed close to home for 9s&10s but kept lookin’ cool.

27eyeguy

Nice fish and that sounds like fun. Way to get after it, sounds like a good day overall. I’ve been going out alot due to no snow n nice weather. Wife tags along on weekends so I just try to go to proven spots so she catches fish and has fun. During the week I explore local spots, tonight is kinda a bust.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Thumper just go to Little Rock next time, and save some time, money and probably do a little better! chased jester

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Thumper just go to Little Rock next time, and save some time, money and probably do a little better!

LOL. Shhhhh we dont want to call out any small honey holes in his area

CaptainMusky

LOL that is right! I have a lake my son did well on last saturday that I never heard of that FT could try and not far away.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Little Rock is the green gem of the area! Nice grind FT!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

green gem

That is a accurate description of it. I once made the boat ride into it from the Mississippi river. Took me a fair amount of work to get the scum line off the boat after that trip.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Please call them out. I’d sure like to find one in this area – For good panfish anyway.

CaptainMusky

Please call them out. I’d sure like to find one in this area

My son did well on crappies and sunnies. Sunnies were very nice and crappies all over 11. I wont post the lake name however but its now far from us.

walleye hunter

Sometimes putting on a few miles and trying new water is half the fun,Nice slabs

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Sometimes putting on a few miles and trying new water is half the fun,Nice slabs

I agree. We are doing that this weekend

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.