Good, small handgun question

• matthewkolden

I’m not much of a handgun guy. I deer hunt, I have nice rifles. However, I’m looking to get my first handgun, mostly just for fun shooting, but also as a home defense gun. I really don’t know jack squat about them, so i’m looking for some recommendations from you all who know vastly more than myself.

I’d like something with extremely low recoil so that my wife can easily handle it as well. Any suggestions are well received, thanks in advance.

tsamp
    eldora, iowa

Go to a range and try them out

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

May want to try the Smith and Wesson EZ models in 9mm or 380acp.
    They offer with or without safety and offer a lighter spring for racking which is often nice for females.

Find an indoor range that does rentals, it’s cheaper to rent a few and find what you like rather than to buy and find out you don’t like it.
    Use it as part of a date night with the wife…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

If you don’t intend to carry it, then one with a longer barrel is generally going to have better accuracy. Mine has a 5 inch barrel and I only use it for range shooting and home defense. It’s way too big to be carrying around though.

A .22LR caliber has virtually no recoil. Doesn’t have a lot of stopping power, but ammo is very cheap.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

If you have no intentions of carrying it 100% go full size. Less recoil and generally much easier to shoot. Like others said try some out at a range and see what you like.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

May want to try the Smith and Wesson EZ models in 9mm or 380acp.
    They offer with or without safety and offer a lighter spring for racking which is often nice for females.

Find an indoor range that does rentals, it’s cheaper to rent a few and find what you like rather than to buy and find out you don’t like it.
    Use it as part of a date night with the wife…

^This.

I’ve got one in 9mm and .380

The intention was that the .380 would be perfect for Mrs, and then I ended up liking it so bought myself one in the 9mm. Great for learners and the single stack makes them easy to carry if you wish. Mine generally stays locked in my daily driver pickup, but have put a couple thousand rounds through it without the slightest hiccup.

Musky Ed

S&W ez in 9 m/m if one gun for both of you. There really isn’t that much recoil, especially in 115 gr plinking rounds. You will both love it. Also cheaper to shoot than the .380 My wife shoots all our auto pistols,and shoots them better than most guys,.380-.45 and doesn’t flinch with any of them. She does like my target loads in my.40’s and .45’s though. We did get my wife an S&W EZ .380 though to Carry on her walks and it’s easier to rack the slide than my 9mm.standard M&P, but she shoots the 9 mm m&p just as well as the .380. We don’t shoot the .380 much as it’s expensive to shoot, and I don’t reload for it like the 9mm.

Deuces

Finally ordered my bersa thunder 380 yesterday, hits on all the features you’re looking for. Every review I’ve found were positive, YouTube and ull find good vids. Good value, good starter. I’m a complete newb as well so this is all going off others info…

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The glock g48 is a great shooter and carry. The 19 hits all the boxes and is favored by many. I was carrying a g17 and still do, but I bought a g48 for my work gun. And I love the way it carries

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I’ll second the G48. I shoot a 43x, but it is the shorter barrel version of the 48. Good advice above about going to a range where you can shoot and handle several different models. A good handgun class for both of you once you’ve purchased would be a good idea. Then shoot, shoot, and shoot some more.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

If you have no intentions of carrying it 100% go full size. Less recoil and generally much easier to shoot. Like others said try some out at a range and see what you like.

This is spot on. The larger the gun the less recoil. My full size 45 shoots easier than any of my carry size 9’s do. I was carrying a G43 and it is a nice gun and will eat any bullet, I switched to a Sig P365xl and really love that gun. Good luck, soon you will have several.

slowpoke
    Perham Mn

I’ve had my petite grand daughters shooting my .45. The recoil isn’t the thing that they didn’t like, it was the bark that initially scared them. Once they got over that they had a blast plinking! If you are worried about recoil, I would go with a .380 or a 9mm… ammo is readily available, fairly reasonable and way more stopping power than a .22 or .22 WMR

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Go to the range and test. Make a selection/Choose a weapon. Then, whatever you have chosen to buy for protection, buy a second one in 22LR. This way you both can practice your butts off and be familiar with all the operations of “the serious one.” Of course, once you know what you’re doing with the 22LR, practice a little with the larger caliber so the recoil won’t catch you off guard in an urgent moment. The money you’ll save in practice ammo will end offset the cost of the second handgun, over time.

If you can’t match the handgun to both calibers, I’d consider a revolver. There’s less to think about and you can be faster than guns that present a safety switch step. Everyone will scream about a revolver having less shots. Understand, most attacks happen within 10′. It’s not a Hollywood shootout. The less you have to think about, the better, which why some others have wisely advised to shoot, shoot, shoot. However, you should also practice, practice, practice real time situations and scenarios.

Another fantastic option is a defense 12ga shotgun. Way more effective than any handgun, but not as concealable as something that fits in a drawer, cabinet, or box. Still, every cop will tell you, this is the best home defense there is.

Lastly, I disagree on the longer barrel recommendation. Shorter barrels push backwards less. They tend to lift more than push, which makes for a more manageable recoil. Think in terms of a head-on collision vs an angled collision. More of the energy is deflected because of the lift.

Once upon a time I had two Taurus Judges: one with a 6.5″ barrel, one with a 3″ barrel. I sold the 6.5″ because it jarred my wrist instead of rolling in the grip.

Again, go to a range and try everything. You can’t know until YOU know. Fit, feel, action, and it has to fit two people, if you’re going to share. Realistically, there’s wisdom in finding what fits you best and what fits her best. Yeah, it costs, but doing things “better” often does.

ekruger01

Lots of good options. Small pistols are snappy most of the time. Regardless of caliber. If you plan to carry it, My current favorite is my Sig 365 Macro. Same ammo capacity as my full size, but a nice small package. I agree with above, if its going to be a dedicated nightstand gun with the ocassional carry, go full size, add a light, and practice, practice, practice.

Modern Sportsman, Bills, and a few other gun ranges have a bunch of rentals, go try them and see what you like. I found with my wife that she is way more accurate, and comfortable shooting a full size than carrying and shooting a small sub compact.

Whatever you get, Buy a ton of ammo, and shoot often.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Not sure where you are located. If near the St. cloud area. Firing Line in Sauk Rapids has a special on Fridays. Shared lane with unlimited gun rentals. Great way to try out lots of the most popular guns at a real reasonable price. My wife and I have done it several times. They also have carry classes rather often if that is something you are interested in. Keep in Mind you will need to get either a permit to Purchase ( through you local police office ) or have your permit to Carry to be able to purchase a handgun.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Stopped at the Rogers Cabela’s last night and they had both, the S&W EZ in 9 m/m and in .380.

WOW! The .380 was easy to rack! The 9mm was a bit harder but compared to my Glock 26 and Body Shield in .380, it was like soft butter.

The sales person said they were very easy on the shooting hand because of the size/weigh over the mouse guns I’m use to.

If a person struggles with operating a weapon, these to would be the ones I would point them towards trying out.

matthewkolden

Lots of great suggestions here, and much appreciated. I didn’t realize I could go to a range and test/rent a variety of guns. I don’t ever range shoot, even my rifles. We just shoot and sight our guns in on the same land we hunt.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

If its for plinking and home defense I would go with a full sized handgun. Easier to handle, control and shoot. 9mm would be the easiest ammo to get since its mega popular. No need to get something small if you are not going to CC.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Lots of great suggestions here, and much appreciated. I didn’t realize I could go to a range and test/rent a variety of guns. I don’t ever range shoot, even my rifles. We just shoot and sight our guns in on the same land we hunt.

Most gun ranges now do rentals. First thing I would do is both of you go out and handle a bunch of guns, get a feel for what you like as some will just feel right and some will feel wrong. I like Glocks, some do not and say they just feel wrong. Well they should not own a Glock then. After you pick a few you like then go rent them at the range and make sure it shoots how you want it to.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.