Good polarized sunglasses

• Spencer Haugen

I was curious on what types of polarized sunglasses everyone would suggest for ice and open water fishing I was looking at spy’s and oakleys but was wondering if anyone has costas and if they are better for viewing electronic screens when fishing in the sunshine

bowtecmike
    Zimmerman mn

I switched to costas 2 years ago from Oakley and I will never go back the lenses I purchased are far superior in my experiences. And I drop mine and beat them up pretty good and still have not even damaged mine yet. And there warranty is very good.

Spencer Haugen

What color lenses did you get and model I’m really interested into picking a pair up

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

If you haven’t worn glass before beware the weight factor. Some it may be no big deal, for others maybe. Costas makes poly lens I believe as well.

I was very happy with my Native glasses. Got them off Campmor.com for cheap if ya can’t swing couple bills for glasses.

For overall conditions, Amber lens IMO. Everyone is different, have to see for yourself.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Check out smith as well. They make as good a quality sunglasses as Costa.

However, I would suggest that polarized glasses shouldn’t be your main pair of glasses. Only use them for situations that you need to see into the water. They really affect your ability to see your electronics and your phone.

My next pair will not be polarized for that reason.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Polarized lenses and electronic screens are like superman and kryptonite.

red89
    Hudson

Steep and Cheap had some really good deals on sunglasses recently. Some were over 50% off. I bought a pair of Costa Zane with 580 glass copper lenses for $105. I wouldn’t recommend buying a pair without going to a store and trying them on first.

fishtoeat
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

You might want to look into Wiley X’s also. After looking at Costa’s, Maui Jim’s and Oakley, I ended up with Wiley’s for cost and quality. First pair of prescription polarized sunglasses and love them for fishing and motorcycle riding as they also come with a dust/wind attachment for riding.

robby
    Quad Cities

As a solid general rule, you get what you pay for. I do not believe any brand has any secret technology in the polarizing, or glass game. Lots of great brands out there. I currently wear Costas and Gargoyles. I like them both. Lens tint means everything when seeing through glare on water though. And the best color lenses are dictated by the brightness and color of the light in the environment and the color/clarity of the water. Lots of variables. Generally though, darker lenses work best on brighter days. Conversely, lighter lenses for darker days.

soldiersdad1
    La Crosse, WI

May I suggest you take a look at the FISHGILLZ line of glasses. I’ve been using them exclusively for the past 4 years. On the water and ice. I absolutely LOVE them! I used to use Oakley’s and Costa’s and after using the FISHGILLZ line, I will never use any others. Here’s some reasons why. 1)They are 100% USA made. 2)They only weigh 1/2 an ounce. 3)Price. None are over $60 and there’s FREE shipping ALWAYS. 4) With every pair comes the case and cleaning cloth. 5)They float. Even IN the case. No, I’m not sponsored by them. I just like to suggest a GREAT product. BUT, not until I’ve had the chance to use them for awhile first. They aren’t available in stores. Only on their website. A few times a year the also offer Buy One Pair, Get One Free! Just a suggestion and another possible option for you.

TripleA
    Blaine

Igogs are at fleet farm for $12-25. Cheap. If your looking for high quality and willing to pay the price costas can’t be beat. They might sell based on brand name but you just don’t find many people unhappy with them.

TripleA
    Blaine

May I suggest you take a look at the FISHGILLZ line of glasses. I’ve been using them exclusively for the past 4 years. On the water and ice. I absolutely LOVE them! I used to use Oakley’s and Costa’s and after using the FISHGILLZ line, I will never use any others. Here’s some reasons why. 1)They are 100% USA made. 2)They only weigh 1/2 an ounce. 3)Price. None are over $60 and there’s FREE shipping ALWAYS. 4) With every pair comes the case and cleaning cloth. 5)They float. Even IN the case. No, I’m not sponsored by them. I just like to suggest a GREAT product. BUT, not until I’ve had the chance to use them for awhile first. They aren’t available in stores. Only on their website. A few times a year the also offer Buy One Pair, Get One Free! Just a suggestion and another possible option for you.

I’m going to check them out for sure. Thanks

benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

I have been very please with my Maui Jim’s prescription sunglasses. Every time I put those on I just love them!! No regrets, initially thought I might be spending too much but do they feel good!
    Bob

Denny O
    Central IOWA

May I interject one item,

Near
    and
    Farsightedness.

Where do those of us go for that kind of help?

I could not thread a needle that had an 1/8th inch hole on the water to save my arse! Yet I want to see what the water is allowing me to view!

I spent some BUCKS on prescription polarized sunglasses. Could / Should I have done better??

bronzbak
    Long way from home

Costas are the best made without question. Glass are 5 times as durable and scratch resistant as poly. I quit buying poly years ago because I’d go through 3-5 pair a year. They’d be all scratched and scuffed then basically get thrown away. The glass 580 Costa lenses are so much clearer than any other brand I’ve worn it’s flat amazing. The difference I noticed was sight fishing in Louisana for redfish. Every guide down there wore costas and I saw why.

Duke M

I’ve been buying YUM brand polarized sun glasses at Walmart for $4.88 per pair. I have been completely satisfied with them. If I lose a pair, step on a pair, or whatever I don’t get upset, I just grab another pair.
    A cost conscious alternative to expensive shades.

Duke

benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

May I interject one item,

Near
    and
    Farsightedness.

Where do those of us go for that kind of help?

I could not thread a needle that had an 1/8th inch hole on the water to save my arse! Yet I want to see what the water is allowing me to view!

I spent some BUCKS on prescription polarized sunglasses. Could / Should I have done better??
    [/quote

If your far vision requires no correction or little correction. Some makers offer non prescription correction. Before my prescription I had a pair of Ono’s with non prescription readers. May want to bump up the correction for the close up work.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

If your considering a high end pair of glasses, compare the Polarizing efficiency % from an independent source. The results were surpising when I last looked into them.

For general POS glasses to have daily in the boat and protect my eyes from other people, I have 4 or 5 pair of the walmart specials. But for being in the mountains, clear sunny days, and glare off of ice/snow, my REVOs are the most best I’ve tried so far

Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

I am near-sighted, too. And I now have bi-focals. I found an outfit at the Minnesota State Fair that will take your glasses & cut to fit polarized lenses. I have both a dark pair & an amber pair. I love them! In fact I have the same two pairs for my other set of glasses. I don’t remember the company’s name, but they were in a booth at the East end of the coliseum. If you haven’t found anything you like by then, check them out.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

If you’re looking for a sweet deal on some Oakleys I have a few “friends” selling them. )

thaddeus
    St. Cloud, MN

I LOVE my Amphibia Genesis Sunglasses. They float! You can find them on sale sometimes. Got mine for $75.

404 ERROR
    MN

Look in my truck and you’ll find about 5 pairs of tinted safety glasses. Look a little closer and you’ll find some Costas. I have a pair of poly and a pair of glass costas. Both are bar-none better than any other glasses I own. I have Smith, Oakley, Wiley X and a few other brands. Someone mentioned trying them on first, YES. The glass pair I have are Hammerheads and they are a little big for my head, I didn’t try them on before I ordered them.

If I forget my Costas when out bowfishing, I will turn around and go home to get them…They make that big of a difference…Most polarized sunglasses will do the trick, but wear a quality pair side-by-side outdoors for a bit and you’ll understand the price points.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Costas are the best lenses on the planet. Scratch resistent. No other really compare. You need to pick lense color based on fishing type and water. That is one of the biggest mistake people make they base there choice on style vs function. All you need to do is talk to someone at a quality retailer and you will be sent to Costa. I fish salt water and fresh and have different glasses for each type inland vs offshore. It really makes a difference. Those who suggest Oakley have no idea. They are plastic lenses and sold for name. Smith have a few decent lenses but still not really close. You need to try them on and look through to see the difference.

benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

After hearing all the positives on the Costas Glass I may have to give them a try next time. I will say when I put the Maui Jim prescription glasses on everything looks fantastic!!. Every time I put them on I say Oh Yeah!
    Bob

Paul Owens

I race sailboats when I’m not fishing and polarized sunglasses are REALLY important. We need to be able to see the subtle changes in the wind on the water surface and glare isn’t very helpful when it comes to that. With that said, all the top guys I know of wear Kaenon’s. I’ve taken a look at them and if it weren’t for the fact that my Oakleys are in fine shape I’d say, my next pair is going to be a pair of Kaenon’s as well. It’s impressive how clear they are. I’ve tried on almost every other brand out there and spent an embarrassingly high amount over the years. They are definitely be worth a look.

I do agree about the kryptonite with electronics comment though. It kind of sucks fishing with my buddy and needing to cock my head to the side every time i want to see the fish finder.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Costa 580 from the Bay. They’re authentic when they come from reputable sellers.

91reddog

I’ve bought a lot of gear over my lifetime, but there are two things that stand out to me as bad investments. First off was a gen 1 aqua view camera. Second is a pair of Costa 580s. I think they cost me 279 at Scheels or something like that. Broke a lens inthe first 6 months and it cost me 179 to have it replaced.

I know im going to be the minority here, but I just wanted to say that not everyone embraces high quality lens. ( and I wear glasses every waking minute, so I’m used to glasses)

jarrod holbrook

I have costa 580 glass polarized. I have the bronze with green mirror, and the grey with blue mirror. For all day bright sun on Lake Erie I reach for the blue. For overcast early and late runs, I go bronze. If I had to pick one it’s the bronze. All this being said, I also picked up a pair of smith optics chroma-pop glass polarized. They darken in bright and lighten in the evening. For fly fishing I swear by them. Shades are the best investment you can make. You only have one set of eyes. As far as electronics screens… yep it sucks. As far as protection? It’s worth every penny. I literally can’t go out on water without glasses.

King Dinger
    Mn

I really like my Wiley X glasses!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.