Gly question

• tominblaine

I was wondering at what ratio you all are mixing your gly/ water? I am using a 25 gallon atv sprayer, I have the 41% gly and 15% surfacant stuff, I got it where Grouse gets his from, I am also thinking about using the dye so I can see where I’ve sprayed, any input would be a great help. Thanks in advance.

Tom

haleysgold
    SE MN

My method isn’t exactly what your typical farmer would do but it seems to work for me.
    There are formulas based on speed, pressure, etc but for my 6 acres it’s a little too much work. Yes, I’m lazy!
    I normally use 1 quart to 25 gallons of water and speed so I can see the greens getting wet but not saturated. If I’m spraying very heavy weeds or something I think might have built up a gly resistance, I go a bit more than the quart to ensure a good kill.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve been using 2 ounces of gly per gallon of water for years and it seems to do the job. No need to use any more than that.

Dye is a freaking mess IMO and it’s ridiculously expensive for what it is.

Instead, time to Precision Ag it up like the big boys. Get yourself a GPS spray program for your phone. I use the totally awesome and free Field Navigator, here’s the link for the Android version.

Field navigator shows your spray swath as a “painted” stripe on a map of your field so you can see you spray passes to ensure that you get complete coverage. It’s not “ag quality” due to the limitations of your phone’s tiny GPS anntenea but it’s good enough for food plot use.

You set up the width of your spray swath and then you map the perimeter of the field. Then hit the Start button and start spraying. It shows your speed and it paints a stripe on the field showing the width of each pass. Paint the whole field green and you’re done.

You can then save the data from that spray application so you have a nice log of what you sprayed and when.

Grouse

haleysgold
    SE MN

Grouse – You are da man!

Just reading about the Field Navigator was awesome. Can’t believe I haven’t heard of it before.
    I downloaded the app and am just tickled to try it out. I’m not ready to spray but I’m going to load the sprayer up with water and give it a whirl.
    Amazing the chit I learn hanging around this site !

tominblaine

Thank you all for the awesome info and insight, going to do some weed killin’ this saturday.

Tom

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I downloaded the app and am just tickled to try it out. I’m not ready to spray but I’m going to load the sprayer up with water and give it a whirl.

It’s worth playing with Field Navigator in your back yard to learn the process of how to set up a field (plot) by driving the perimeter. You then save the field so you don’t have to do the perimeter every time.

I set up each area of my plots where there’s a different crop as a separate field. That way, for example, if I want to spray the cover in the northwest quarter of the plot, I just bring up that “field” and start spraying.

Take the time to save each Track when you spray and record the details including spray used, how many gallons it took, mix rate, etc. This info is a huge help down the road.

Also, take the time to spray some water to precisely measure the “swath” over coverage width of your sprayer and then enter that into the program settings. Also adjust the offset if your sprayer is a tow behind.

A good ATV-mounted GPS holder is money well spent.

Grouse

deertracker

Just reading about the Field Navigator was awesome. Can’t believe I haven’t heard of it before.

You may as well start a Farm Logs account as well. You can track you plots and get notifications when it rains. It also tracks you “Growing Degree Days (GDD)waytogo

https://farmlogs.com/

DT

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

You may as well start a Farm Logs account as well. You can track you plots and get notifications when it rains. It also tracks you “Growing Degree Days (GDD)waytogo

https://farmlogs.com/

DT

Unfortunately not anymore. Farmlogs put all those features behind a paywall this year. 20 a month minimum.

No longer worth using. I deleted it.

Grouse

deertracker

Weird. I pulled mine up before posting. I was able to view the stuff I posted. I did see they are charging for some stuff. I’ll have to look into it farther. I thought I had gotten a few emails recently indicating that it rained up there but maybe not.
    DT

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Weird. I pulled mine up before posting. I was able to view the stuff I posted. I did see they are charging for some stuff. I’ll have to look into it farther. I thought I had gotten a few emails recently indicating that it rained up there but maybe not.

You can still view past activities, but all activity logging is now a paid feature. You can still see daily rainfall totals, but graphs of past rains are also a paid feature now. Basically, there are no features of Farmlogs anymore that can’t be had for free elsewhere and IMO they want way too much for record-keeping features.

I kept my web account open, but I deleted the app. Not worth the phone space anymore.

Grouse

Northeast MPLS

What are you all using instead of farm logs? All I need is rain tracking data to keep my tree plantings alive on my property 4 hours away.
    Something similar to farm logs would be awesome.
    Thanks.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I use this for tracking rain now
    rain

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Instead, time to Precision Ag it up like the big boys. Get yourself a GPS spray program for your phone. I use the totally awesome and free Field Navigator, here’s the link for the Android version.

Field navigator shows your spray swath as a “painted” stripe on a map of your field so you can see you spray passes to ensure that you get complete coverage. It’s not “ag quality” due to the limitations of your phone’s tiny GPS anntenea but it’s good enough for food plot use.

You set up the width of your spray swath and then you map the perimeter of the field. Then hit the Start button and start spraying. It shows your speed and it paints a stripe on the field showing the width of each pass. Paint the whole field green and you’re done.

You can then save the data from that spray application so you have a nice log of what you sprayed and when.

Grouse

I installed this app yesterday and did a little mapping of my plots at the farm. I think this is going to come in very handy for spraying yay

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Field Navigator works great. The only “glitch” I’ve noticed is that on some days the GPS accuracy is just not there.

This isn’t a problem with the program, it’s most likely related to atmospheric conditions according to what I’ve read about GPS accuracy.

To check your current accuracy capability in the Field Navigator Program:

From the main screen, go to Main Menu > Settings > GPS Reciever

You’ll see a line for accuracy and the current accuracy potential in feet.

Generally, I see accuracy of 10-15 feet, but on “bad days” this number jumps to 50-75 feet or more. I’m not sure if anything can be done to improve this outside of getting a better plug in antenna.

Grouse

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.