Getting Started With Leadcore

• rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I’m finally going to get into leadcore trolling. I prefer other methods but sometimes nothing else will work. So being fresh to this I’ve got a few questions.

First off, any recommendations on some decent but affordable rod/reel combos? A quick google search for a combo brings up several items, Cabelas has a combo for 69.99. Scheels for 89.99, Walmart (Shakespeare) for 49.99. Never been a fan of anything Shakespeare but give me some pointers.

As for line…

And finally, what’s the advantage to leadcore over using a bottom bouncer with a leader and a crank?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

And finally, what’s the advantage to leadcore over using a bottom bouncer with a leader and a crank?

You can use any crankbait in your box, at any depth.

mojogunter

My first leadcore rods were the cabelas rod combos. They work fine for lead. The drag is touchy, but no other complaints. I have been using suffix 832 leadcore for several years, and I like it better than standard leadcore. It goes deeper and lasts longer.

I’m finally going to get into leadcore trolling. I prefer other methods but sometimes nothing else will work. So being fresh to this I’ve got a few questions.

First off, any recommendations on some decent but affordable rod/reel combos? A quick google search for a combo brings up several items, Cabelas has a combo for 69.99. Scheels for 89.99, Walmart (Shakespeare) for 49.99. Never been a fan of anything Shakespeare but give me some pointers.

As for line…

Smellson

As for line…

The Cabela’s combo will work. Not great, but it will work. Id suggest the size 45 reel. I went through two of the smaller size reels the first time using them but my 45s have been fine. Not sure what the scheels has for a reel on their combos but I doubt they are any lower quality than the depthmasters (okuma?)from cabelas.

Aaron Kalberer

I started with the Shakespeare rod real combo, it will get you into it for cheap, I now use that rod as a line counter with braid. I have the cabelas combo and scheels combo for lead core now. I use the scheels rod predominately and when they put it together the scheels reel came out of an Okuma box. I also like that the scheels rod telescopes down to 6′-6″ at the handle to fit into a rod locker. To me the real is the most important part of a lead core combo.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I run two eagle claw Starfire 10′ rods (M)

I run two depthmaster shorties (5′)
    I’ll also run the depthmaster 6’6″ as a shorty.

Diawa accudepth reels
    Okuma Magda pro reels (cheap but function)

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’m not a fan of pulling cranks on bottom bouncers as it is difficult to “read” the crank with a heavy bouncer between the crankbait and rod tip.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Thanks for the advice all, basically it’s looking like going cheaper to get started isn’t going to be a problem. Suppose I’m gonna have to purchase the precision trolling too. Or just let line out till she starts banging bottom then pull it up some.

B-man

….. Or just let line out till she starts banging bottom then pull it up some.

That’s all that is necessary.

Leadcore brand, leader length, crankbait, speed, current, and turns all play a role.

No magic book or app can account for all of the variables.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I may be incorrect, but I believe precision trolling is only calculated with mono.

Timmy

I attached a link to a combo that I really like for pulling leadcore for eyes. The shimano reel has a really smooth, very forgiving drag and the cabelas rod (I have the 8′ M) has a nice soft action – perfect for not pulling small crank hooks out of a thrashing fish. At $110 for a combo, it is not the cheapest, but I consider it to be a great value for the money.

My preference is braid backing, 5 colors of suffix LC (the good stuff that sinks 5-7′ per color) and a 10lb braid leader.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/rod-reel-combos/trolling-combos/pc/104793480/c/104762880/sc/104653080/shimano-reg-tr-g-cabelas-depthmaster-reg-trolling-combos/739310.uts?slotId=9

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I attached a link to a combo that I really like for pulling leadcore for eyes. The shimano reel has a really smooth, very forgiving drag and the cabelas rod (I have the 8′ M) has a nice soft action – perfect for not pulling small crank hooks out of a thrashing fish. At $110 for a combo, it is not the cheapest, but I consider it to be a great value for the money.

My preference is braid backing, 5 colors of suffix LC (the good stuff that sinks 5-7′ per color) and a 10lb braid leader.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/rod-reel-combos/trolling-combos/pc/104793480/c/104762880/sc/104653080/shimano-reg-tr-g-cabelas-depthmaster-reg-trolling-combos/739310.uts?slotId=9

Thanks! I’d like something that drops fast. No sense in letting out 300ft of line. That’s why I want leadcore line!

sji

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>rjthehunter wrote:</div>

I’m not a fan of pulling cranks on bottom bouncers as it is difficult to “read” the crank with a heavy bouncer between the crankbait and rod tip.

I agree, however I find it easier to use a bottom bouncer when working a deeper rock pile or tight inside slope.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.