Generators

• leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Read a lot of posts on generators and it seems like most were of the inverter type. I wa considering bying a larger one for in case the power would go out at home or to use portably like ice fishing or maybe with the RV. I think I only lost power for more than a few days to a week twice that I can remember. So is it worth buying a Honda 6500 electric start for use everywhere?

munchy
    NULL

They are definitely louder units as I dont believe the 6500 has an inverter model. And if you plan on using this for your whole home then you’ll also need to get a transfer switch installed. But yes it would be worth it especially if you need a way to “sell” the idea of getting a generator to the wife. laugh

trytoofish
    sw Mn.

If you dont need one that big, The Harbor freight predator 3500 is electric start. very good reviews. and I own one. also wont break the bank

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I have a Generac 4500. It won’t run my air conditioner and knew this up front. It will however run the furnace (Most concerned about) and everything else in the house at the same time.

Not as quiet as a honda and not as loud as a Colman.

Just keep in mind what ever you buy, once you put oil for fuel in it it’s non returnable.

For your application above, Honda or Yamaha would be my suggestion. If you can afford 6500w go for it. As Tool Man Tim Taylors say…

MORE POWER!

Ice Cap

I have been looking at the Champion Dual Fuel 3300.Runs on gas or propane and has electric start. Has enough power to run my air and everything else in my camper up on the lake and enough to keep my freezers and stuff going at the house during a extended power outage. It’s overkill for what I need for the ice shack but I’d sooner be over powered than under powered and I will get more use out of it.

You can get them cheaper than the Honda 2200 genny’s that everyone has. My son in law had a lot of problems with his Honda last year and I think there are several recalls out on the 2200 model at least I don’t know about the bigger one you’re talking about. These are just as quiet as the Honda.

Draw back is they come in at just under 100lbs. so lifting them in and out of the back of your truck takes a little oompff. But I really like the dual fuel option and electric start.

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Have been reading some on the generators and I will have to find out how much it will cost to have an electrician install a interlock kit. That’s so you can’t back feed into the power lines. It is a bit overkill but if I can swing it I could power just about everything I would need for an extended outage.
    I believe the model is EM6500SX.
    Honda – when you need smooth, dependable power
    • Reliable single cylinder, overhead valve, air-cooled engine provides consistent, efficient power
    • Automatic voltage regulator (iAVR) minimizes voltage fluctuations, and allows increased wattage for up to 10 seconds to start high amp load applications
    • Honda OHV iGX engine
    • Electronic DCDI ignition
    • Auto Throttle® increases fuel efficiency, reduces noise levels, and decreases wear and tear
    • 120/240V selector switch
    • Oil Alert® system shuts engine down if oil reaches unsafe operating level
    • Circuit breaker protection
    • Simultaneous AC/DC use
    • Electric start standard
    • Protective full tubing frame
    • 2-wheel transport kit and folding handles assure easy transport
    • USDA-qualified spark arrester muffler
    • All Honda engines meet EPA and CARB emission levels
    • Includes a 20A 125V duplex receptacle, a 30A 125V locking plug, and a 30A 125/250V locking plug
    • Rated Watts: 5,500
    • iAVR Advantage Watts: 7,000
    • AC Output: 120/240V
    • Fuel Tank: 6.2 gal.
    • Fuel Gauge: Yes
    • Displacement: 389 cc
    • Run Time @ 1/2 Load: 10.4 hrs.
    • Noise Level @ Rated Load: 73 dB
    • Shipping Weight: 243 lb.
    • Overall Dimensions: 41.1″L x 27.8″W x 30.6″H
    • 3 year limited manufacturer warranty
    • Manufacturer model# EM6500SX
    • Replacement parts and accessories are available, please call for details
    • For optimum performance and safety, we recommend you read the Owner’s Manual before operating your Honda Power Equipment Connection of generators to house power requires transfer device to avoid possible injury to power company personnel-consult a qualified electrician

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I have a back up generator for the farm I did not go with an interlock I just had them put a switch on the main pole way way cheaper. Granted I have to turn off the switch before hooking up the generator and turn the generator off after power is back up then turn the main switch back on. Another advantage is in case of fire I can shut down all power to the farm from one place.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.