Generator Box Design

• Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Well I’m typing this at 3:42am. My generator froze for the first time tonight. It’s -22 and she stopped at 9:00pm after 5hrs. I warmed it up and set it inside my truck topper with the topper window open. Started it up and figured that would help keep it warm. 3:30am she shut down again.

Has anyone desiged a generator box that works at these temps? I understand most people don’t fish in -22 temps but I figured there would be some.

At least the fish are bitting! Thanks!

Attachments:
    1. 20171231_025149.jpg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I warmed it up and set it inside my truck topper with the topper window open. Started it up and figured that would help keep it warm. 3:30am she shut down again.

I’ve done this for the past 3 days and it has worked flawlessly. It should get pretty warm in there. Warm enough to thaw a pizza doah

Swivel digger
    NULL

I leave mine in the back of the truck under tonneau cover with the tailgate open. Mine started acting up, was about to head home early and finally figured out it was an issue with the hose coming from auxiliary tank. Put the normal cap back on it and it’s good to go, just sucks refilling it in this cold. Propane started flowing slow a little bit ago and put a couple hand warmers on top of tank, all set again until next problem. Good luck, stay warm and tight lines.

Woodshed
    Elk River, MN

I’ve always kept mine in the truck bed with a topper closed up and a window cracked. It’s operated at -20 like that without failing, but I don’t like the idea of the breather freezing up and dumping oil all over. I may get the breather heater kit for insurance.

Joe, did yours spill oil?

big_g
    Isle, MN

I have been running ti right out on the ice… no issues. Then again only -20f

big_g
    Isle, MN

I have been running it right out on the ice… no issues. Then again only -20f

box would be nice to keep quiet too

djshannon
    Crosslake

Here is an idea. How about a large Coleman Cooler with a chunk slices of each end of the cover.

If if can keep thinks cold it can surely keep in the heat.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Here is an idea. How about a large Coleman Cooler with a chunk slices of each end of the cover.

If if can keep thinks cold it can surely keep in the heat.

This sounds pretty cool -I wonder if there is one big enough. Maybe of you cut a slot for the handle too?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Or just use what HRG suggests.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Joe, what generator do you have?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I built a generator enclosure this summer for my off the grid hunting property. The goal was a little different, I wanted it mainly for sound reduction and for reducing carb ice in the winter.

What I learned is that fresh air flow is critical and you need a way to adjust it without redoing the whole design. The thing is you need enough fresh air coming in so the engine isn’t stuttering from O2 deprivation, but not so much that cold air is producing carb ice on the intake side.

My solution was a multi-speed cooling fan and then varying lengths of prop rod for the lid. The lid can be propped open about 12 inches in the summer and the fan run on max to get maximum cooling, but in the winter I can lower the lid and slow the fan to keep enough air flowing, but not so much that the inside of the box is below freezing and carb icing starts to happen.

It’s a fine balance I found out, just a little move air supply makes a big difference. The gold plated solution would be to have an intake duct that took in air from as far away from the exhaust as possible, but still inside the enclosure where it’s warm.

Grouse

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Did it puke oil out?
    That is one of the tell-tale signs that the breather vent froze up on you.
    And the fix is the heated breather that HRG posted.

B-man

Skip the $100 heater kit and buy a big $5 plastic tote. (Make sure it’s not a clear one, they are brittle)

Cut a 2″ in one end that lines up with the exhaust, and a 2″ hole on the other end for fresh air.

Lay the lid down on the tailgate or on the ice (upside down). Set the generator on the lid, then snap the tote (upside down) over the generator and onto the lid.

Easy, cheap, and also provides shelter from the elements for the unit )

It stays warm and cozy in there.

The tote also plays double duty for storage in the bed of the truck on the way to the lake for other stuff.

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

Has anyone desiged a generator box that works at these temps? I understand most people don’t fish in -22 temps but I figured there would be some.

At least the fish are bitting! Thanks!

Joe,

I too bought and installed the cold weather breather heater however it is not foolproof at all. Last year I bought a pre-made generator box from my friend JR up at JR’s on Red. Just got back from 3 nights of -22, -28, and -24F, my Honda 2000i Ran perfectly through the nights, never shut it off, burned 4+ gallons through my extended run auxiliary tank just sitting on the ice in the box. I met my buddy on shore who was going out tonight, I insisted he take it. I was bringing it home to make a pattern for my neighbor, mine is made from press wood and I would like to beef it up using plywood, but it’s pretty good. I think I paid JR $50, definitely worth the investment. This weekend was the perfect conditions and I was quite pleased. It’s really not a big deal and looks pretty easy to make.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Did it puke oil out?

No oil leaking. Where should i look for oil if it did leak? Under the access cover? Thanks!

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Thanks for the info on the box from JR. Also did you say you did or did not have the extended run tank connected?

When we were having troubles the extended run tank was connected. Last night it shut off again. We have been using my buddies generator and extended run tank. I fired mine up about 10:00 last night. It doesn’t have the extended run tank connected and she ran all night in the back of my pick up without an issue…

Now is the issue

1)my buddies honda
    2)his extended run tank
    3)or because it was a few degrees warmer last night mine ran perfectly?

I hate issues like this.

Dave maze
    Isanti

I had an issue with my extended run kit for my Honda. First issue was the fittings leaked and thus wouldn’t keep the vaccume on the tank causing the gen to run out of gas. Second issue was the tank cap on the extended run tank. It wouldn’t let air into the tank causing the same issue. Of course I had this issue when it was -20 on lotw. The fix for me was a different tank and redo the tubing between the tank and gen. Plus I added a primer bulb to aid in priming the system. I ran it this morning with no issues. toast

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.