Gas theft

• rmartin
    United States

just found out before a fishing trip that about 30 gallons of gas was siphoned from my boat, leaving me empty. My gas cap does not have a lock and I had contacted the manufacturer and they said that they do not make a locking cap or have anything I could install to do this. Anyone know of something I could use to make this type of theft less possible? Thanks

Attachments:
    1. 150408_001.jpg

2. 150408_002.jpg

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Might have to pay the lil guy extra for a boat, but it should do laugh
    badass monkey

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Pretty “redneck” but works well… Wad up a ball of chicken wire just larger than the I.D. of the fill tube and stuff it down your fill tube a bit. Fuel will pass but a siphon tube will not.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I would think gas tank theft is so rare that its not worth spending money to protect against?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If you are the only one EVER to fuel the boat mark it “Diesel fuel only”. wink

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Better yet mark it E85 ONLY.

munchy
    NULL

If you are the only one EVER to fuel the boat mark it “Diesel fuel only”. wink

I see that one ending badly. smash

rmartin
    United States

It is an Attwood Fuel Fill Epa-atw-313. I have contacted Perko to see if they have a compatible model.

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

Perko Gas Fill W/locking cap

I put this in my boat a few years ago. I was not looking for locking at the time, just needed to replace the deck fill.

Might work for you.

Attachments:
    1. IB00004878_3.jpg

Dave maze
    Isanti

At this point you should hope it was stolen. A leaking inboard gas tank would really suck. Put up a trail camera to catch them next time.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Going up to Namaken fishing last year and stayed one night in Virginia and someone stole my full kicker gas tank. Could not believe it, was not to mad as it could have been a lot worse if they started breaking into the locked storage areas.

badgerbacker

A buddy owned a restaurant in Minneapolis and kept having fuel stolen from the external tanks on the cab of his refrigerated panel truck. So he plugged the fuel line on one tank and tightened the fuel cap on the other tank with a pipe wrench. On the disconnected side (easily opened) he added fuel… and a ton of alcohol. The culprit returned and siphoned the fuel. But that was the last time.
    Maybe you could bait them with an easy to grab portable tank.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Going up to Namaken fishing last year and stayed one night in Virginia and someone stole my full kicker gas tank. Could not believe it, was not to mad as it could have been a lot worse if they started breaking into the locked storage areas.

Stay out of the Sawmill and you won’t sleep so soundly. grin jester

rmartin
    United States

I checked with Perko and they do not make a locking EPA gas cap. Attwood did not have any solutions for me either. I am not willing to mess with the fuel system and try and install a different cap which would require drilling new holes in the fiberglass. I am considering buying some 304 stainless steel mesh screen to wad up and shove down the fuel line. I am looking at 8 mesh to do this. Still waiting to see what my dealer thinks of this. On another site, a couple of people did not like that idea. I do not think the coil spring would find a good place to seat itself and might be easy to push through.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Look around. On a Sterling diesel straight truck I had i was able to get a inside tube that prevented siphoning. Just slipped inside the fill tube but you couldn’t take it out. Didn’t affect filling either. Hit the car parts stores and see what you can come up with.

rmartin
    United States

Nice idea, but after further study, I found out it is for flexible hose and will not lock into straight pipe. On second thought, it might just lodge on the tank fitting. Will have to do more research.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Losing 30 gallons isn’t easy. You must be parked in a lot with other boats or vehicles around. I have never heard of anybody walking around with a hose and 5 or 6 cans to siphon gas. Sounds more like somebody went vehicle to vehicle with a hose. If you can’t find anything to insert in the tube you may have to limit how much gas you keep in the boat or else change to a more secure location. Sucks, but what ya going to do?

rmartin
    United States

I am on a boat lift in an area with many other boats on a canal. Must have been at night when someone in another boat pulled up next to me and with my boat being out of the water, the siphoning was well lined up.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Maybe a couple of motion detector lights would help…..or maybe it would just help the people siphon. doah

rmartin
    United States

I have been debating that same thought.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.