Garmin GT54 Transducer mounting?

• toddrun

I have not had a side imaging depth finder before, and therefore never installed one of the transducers before. Just wondering how finicky they are? If anyone is willing to share their tries, successes and fails.

I plan on keeping my current Lowrance for mapping and depth, and that transducer is currently placed on the starboard side about a foot from the outboard, would like to leave that one there.

So the rules I read, should be on the starboard side of the outboard, at least 15″ from the motor, and if there is a separate depth transducer it should be HIGHER than the side-imaging transducer.

My issue is, I can move it further out, between the next two ribs on the bottom of the boat, but then it is mounted higher than the depth transducer. Will that cause issues? I plan on installing a mounting board this time, so this transducer will sit out further from the transom than the depth transducer, should help. Do not want to move the depth transducer, it was screwed directly into the hull.

Other options, mount it on the port side. I have not found any really good reason why this cannot be done, unless someone can share?

I ask because I recall some posts with issues with these side imaging transducer placement/mounting. So any opinions would be appreciated.

dirtywater

I don’t think the height of the GT54 in relation to your other ducer matters nearly as much as just getting the GT54 mounted so that it skims the water properly?

No clue about mounting port side.

I’ll say I’ve never mounted a ducer before and I had zero issues mounting my gt54 on the first time. It’s my only transducer. I’ve got it so when I’m on plane and peek over the stern I can see the top of the ducer clearly, with the bottom half skimming nicely. No spray into the boat. Reads well at top speed which is only 25mph in my little boat.

bfishn

I mounted a GT54 right next to a hummindbird DI ducer and it has worked fine. The Garmin is a hair lower, but not much, and its also not quite 15″ from motor. I think the issue with the port side, Is the way the prop spins creates more turbulence on that side. It may not matter if you get it far enough away though.

Why not remove old transducer, silicone the holes and mount a mounting plate over that location to seal it and remount both transducers properly?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Why not remove old transducer, silicone the holes and mount a mounting plate over that location to seal it and remount both transducers properly?

This ^^

That is what I did and it works, I have the same Garmin that you have and kept my Lowrance in the same manner as you are talking about.

toddrun

I just didn’t want to remove what was already there, but I did also think of that solution. That mounting spot is too close to the motor, but works fine for the depth finder transducer, have no issues with that, so didn’t want to really mess with it.

The GT54, if mounted on the starboard side, will be about 10″ away from the standard transducer, and maybe a couple inches higher, but also further out from the hull with the mounting board. I think it will be OK. Just wondering if others ran into issues doing it that way.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I can try to remember to take a pic of mine, but like I said mine are mounted on the same board and they have to be about as close as you mentioned. I had mine rigged by a pro and he put the Garmin closer to the motor and lower and the Lowrance ducer to the right of it and a little higher

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Lots of YouTube videos on Garmin and Hummingbird duel transducer mounting. Lots of your questions answered.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.