Garmin Auto Guidance 2.0

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

With the sonar capabilities of the Garmin units getting all the attention I must confess one of my favorite features on my Garmin GPSMAP units has nothing at all to do with sonar – Auto Guidance 2.0.

I find Auto Guidance 2.0 incredibly useful because it makes sense of complex navigation paths. Where other GPS products will create a straight-line path from Point A to Point B that will often cross dry land or other hazards, Auto Guidance 2.0 utilizes detailed GPS maps to create a path to your intended destination that takes into account shallow water areas, hazards, islands, etc. GPS Navigation for the angler has never been easier or more useful!

Nick Cox
    Minnesota

Very helpful James!

CaptainMusky

Cool! I just hope the mapping is trustworthy. Im not saying it because its Garmin, but all the other mapping options Ive used have been suspect in one way or another. Shows me on dry land, when I am clearly in the water. Completely uncharted/inaccurate areas on “High Definition” lakes.
    Its the typical caveat, not use for navigation purposes -)

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Cool! I just hope the mapping is trustworthy. Im not saying it because its Garmin, but all the other mapping options Ive used have been suspect in one way or another. Shows me on dry land, when I am clearly in the water. Completely uncharted/inaccurate areas on “High Definition” lakes.
    Its the typical caveat, not use for navigation purposes -)

Very true, mapping is only as good as the data the map is based on. Obviously I’ve not looked at all the HD – 1′ contour lakes on the Lake Vu Ultra chip but I have not run into any issues with the map showing me on dry land, etc. So far the HD lake maps have been very, very accurate, and the results using Auto Guidance have been spot-on reliable.

CaptainMusky

Cool, thanks for all the tips/tricks and videos very informative! I might be upgrading one of my GPS units this Spring and Garmin is on the very short list.

Any idea if/when Garmin may have the autopilot feature to work with Motorguide? I had heard that was in the works, but wasn’t sure of a timeline.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Cool, thanks for all the tips/tricks and videos very informative! I might be upgrading one of my GPS units this Spring and Garmin is on the very short list.

Any idea if/when Garmin may have the autopilot feature to work with Motorguide? I had heard that was in the works, but wasn’t sure of a timeline.

I’m curious on that as well and will post up the latest on timeline, assuming I can find someone willing to spill the beans.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

This seems like a great feature for large and/or unfamiliar bodies of water. Very cool.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.