Garage heater help

• hoytpower
    buffalo county, wi

Putting a 80,000btu mr heater in my 30×30 shed. Was thinking of running 2 100# tanks to it so i could switch them and refill. Anyone have a ball park idea how fast it will burn through lp? Maybe i need a 400# tank. Not looking to keep it more than 45-50 deg in there just melt the snow off the atv and keep ice fishing gear dried out.

B-man

There’s a hundred variables to your question.

How well it’s insulated
    What type of insulation
    If the foundation insulated
    How warm you set plan to keep it
    How often you open the doors
    Ceiling height
    Where you live
    Etc, etc

If you live in Minnesota and plan on keeping it above 40 degrees all of the time, I’d get a 500 gallon tank with a contract.

For your needs and to save on propane, I’d look into framing and insulating a smaller room inside the garage (like a 10×15′ to thaw out the toys)

Coletrain27

your gonna need A bigger tank unless you want to refill and haul tanks ALOT

gregory
    Red wing,mn

I would highly recommend a larger tank, 100# only hold roughly 22 gallons of lp and when it’s cold out you won’t be able to get all the BTU’s out of tank.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

That’s what I did when I heated my garage, didn’t go through more than a couple tanks a month, mine was a 24×32. It doesn’t use much when only heating to 50….I would normally turn mine up to 65 on the weekends to work out there. Having 2 ranks should work out good, I still have 1 tank if you want to buy it, it is the newer style.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.