Garage Floor Coating

• Chad Luebker
    Annandale, MN

Hello. I have been thinking about hiring a professional company to put an epoxy coating on our garage floor. There are a handful of companies on the Internet. I am just wondering if anyone on here has hired a company and what your thoughts are?

Thanks. Chad

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Consider doing it yourself. I did the rust oleum epoxy shield on my previous home garage floor and it was relatively easy. My current home I tried the cement paint instead and so far it seems to work pretty good. Just gotta make sure you let it dry long enough.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

My buddy does terrific work. Hes as honest as they come. Located in Richmond. Company name is walk hard epoxy. Side note hes a big fisherman and hunter

Attachments:
    1. received_582873229300261.jpeg

2. received_668581813944581.jpeg

3. received_1465516326961157.jpeg

4. received_654541385362138.jpeg

5. received_657724978338166.jpeg

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Love the look, hate the price. Prep is the hard part for an older garage, the stuff does not bind to ANYTHING even slightly oily or greasy.

mojogunter

My garage was coated when I bought it, so I don’t know the cost. I do really like it. Oil won’t soak in to the floor. The salt makes it hard to sweep though. I will pressure spray it off this week and hopefully it goes back to easy to sweep again. It is almost like it is sticky and the sand salt won’t come up.

Attachments:
    1. 20190629_173743.jpg

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I used PolyTek Surface Coatings out of Lakeville. It was not cheap but it was totally worth it. I love it. My floor looks a lot like the first picture Crappie posted, and I’m sure it’s virtually the same product.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Consider doing it yourself. I did the rust oleum epoxy shield on my previous home garage floor and it was relatively easy. My current home I tried the cement paint instead and so far it seems to work pretty good. Just gotta make sure you let it dry long enough.

If you like to re paint it every year or two like a deck, do it yourself.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

If you like to re paint it every year or two like a deck, do it yourself.

If you’re doing it every year or two, you’re doing it wrong. Or you’ve got a floor that’s so oil-soaked that nothing is ever going to work. Like any painting or coating, surface prep is everything.

I’ve done the Rustoleum system 3 times on 3 different garages. Works great for the cost. Only areas I’ve had issues with are if you have a spot where something gets steered without rolling like a tractor lawnmower, it will eventually wear a spot through the coating where the tire twists. Easy 10 minute fix if it happens.

I’m not saying it’s better than hiring an epoxy outfit, I’m saying for the cost and the work involved, I thought it worked really well. Yes, there is always a “go big” solution out there if you’ve got an extra $$$$ burning a hole in your pocket. To me a garage is work space and storage space, not a living room, so cost IS an object.

Grouse

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I did the garage floor in our place in the cities 7 years before we moved last fall, held up very well.

Did it up here in the workshop, had leftover so used it where the bar was going to be.

Just echoing others, like most projects, the prep is key. Scrub the crap out of it with the acid.

I also used the Rustoleum brand.

B-man

My garage was coated when I bought it, so I don’t know the cost. I do really like it. Oil won’t soak in to the floor. The salt makes it hard to sweep though. I will pressure spray it off this week and hopefully it goes back to easy to sweep again. It is almost like it is sticky and the sand salt won’t come up.

When I stopped by the other day I was impressed.

You have one sexy garage floor, I think it’s okay for another man to say that right?? mrgreen

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I think the lesson here is to do it when the concrete is in its best shape. If you recently bought a new house, do it right away before it starts to develop cracks, chips, and stains. Trying to do it on an old floor is inevitably going to be tougher.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.