Garage Build

• slough

Added onto my 22 x 26 detached garage and made it into a 22 x 48. Pretty much been a DIY project with the help of friends (I am not terribly savvy when it comes to carpentry, etc. which you will probably realize from my questions.) A few questions/ideas as I move into the finishing phase. I’m not in a huge rush to get it totally done – I’ve got it boxed in and the shingles on so that’s a nice feeling.

– Ideas/suggestions on lights, outlets (obviously more the merrier), fans, etc?
    – Storage/shelving suggestions?
    – Planning to heat it eventually. Did not do in-floor heat. Considering spray foam insulation. Quoted around 3k to do the walls (8’4″) and another 4k for the ceiling. Walls are just 2×4 so I think you get a little more R value with spray but looks to be about 5x the price over fiberglass batts. Have also heard the spray foam helps to add rigidity to the building which might be nice?
    – Considering doing loose fill in the ceiling. Question I have there is I would like to have storage up there and if you have to blow in 12″+ of insulation, how do you store stuff on top of that?
    – Do they make temporary dividing walls that you can move in and out of place (kind of like you see in schools occasionally)? I don’t really have a need to keep the whole garage 50+ degrees in the winter but thought it would be nice to have a little area (15 x 12 or so) you could heat up easily to do projects, drink beer, etc. Obviously could just build a little shop area but might be nice at times to have the whole area open too. Just was a thought, haven’t researched it at all.

MX1825

slough
    Randy has your answers.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

That’s about the size as my garage. I did fiberglass in the walls and ceiling, really cheap to heat and keep around 50-60, my gas bill for the house and garage is typically around 100-150 a month with a hot dawg heater for the garage, no in floor heat. I put a floor in the attic as well.

Jimmy Jones

On your possible shop…. use masking tape to create the shop walls on the floor, then inside the walls use the tape to establish work bench areas, closets, large tools/equipment location, then double or triple the shop size. You can thank me later.

LabDaddy1

On your possible shop…. use masking tape to create the shop walls on the floor, then inside the walls use the tape to establish work bench areas, closets, large tools/equipment location, then double or triple the shop size. You can thank me later.

Lol. I bet there’s something to this.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Slough, I will be interested in how you finish your project. I have a detached garage, 30×40, not finished on inside so I will open to ideas as I would like to finish it and heat at some point. Randy, could you send me the info you sent slough? Will take your knowledge any day.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.