FYI dryer sheets for mice

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

From my friend Ron:

I pulled the V birth cushions out of the attic today to get some measurements for replacement. Apparently dryer sheets DONT work. (Note that they built there nest on the sheet.)

Attachments:
    1. D5E402B1-18F1-4FF6-8A82-54F59047CC5B.jpeg

2. E0D2C32B-ABA5-418B-AE7D-2F930451D6E8.jpeg

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Moth balls don’t work either.I had a mouse chew up a towel in a boat compartment that was partialy on the moth balls.I wonder if an open can of Hamms and some Spam would work as a repellent.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Can’t be worse then dryer sheets and mothballs!

riverruns
    Inactive

I’ve used them both with equal results. Not ever a mouse.

jim horsch

Mouse magic I been using with success

riverruns
    Inactive

I didn’t use hamms and spam either.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I used bounce dryer sheets last winter and had no issues. Hoping for the same this year…..

CaptainMusky

Dryer sheets and Irish spring bar soap have always worked for me. I use it in heavy amounts though

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

My wife has Cab Fresh packets stored in the drawers and cupboards in the kitchen. I can’t stand the smell. Im pretty sure the mice nap on those little stinky pillows.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’ve done nothing the last 13 years I’ve lived in this house. Works for me. Never one single issue. Boats parked in the back yard, boats parked in the driveway, fish houses stored on the garage floor. Nothing.

Point being, just because someone tries something and doesn’t get mice, it doesn’t mean it works.

Mike Martine
    Inactive
    la crosse wis

I’ve done nothing the last 13 years I’ve lived in this house. Works for me. Never one single issue. Boats parked in the back yard, boats parked in the driveway, fish houses stored on the garage floor. Nothing.

Point being, just because someone tries something and doesn’t get mice, it doesn’t mean it works.

. Agree . Apparently it’s relevant to where your at , I’ve tried dryer sheets , damn things made a nest out of them . Tried moth balls , mint oil , you name it nothing keeps them out . I do live in farm country with lots of fields near by though .

Bassn Dan

They MIGHT work better in something that has never had mice in it, but once the mice have some place that they like they keep coming back to THEIR scent and perfumy cover-ups aren’t going do anything.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

BK you have high society mice. You no longer can get away with just dryer sheets like you could with the Lund & Skeeter. You now need to add slivers of Irish Spring. Slice your Irish Spring on lids from your Grey Poupon Mustard.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Oh boy! You guys are…well, you need to go fishing. )

The only place I have mice is in the garage and if I wouldn’t have black oil sunflower seeds stored there, I likely wouldn’t have them there. Since they’re filling their little bellies on the seeds, they aren’t into other things.

Although I left my Marcum LX-9 out there for a week and when I went to use it, the cord carrier had a good amount of shelled sunflower seeds in it. I thought it was nice of them to pre shell them for me.

Caught a third mouse yesterday heading for the buckets. I thought I was done with them after two but notice chewed seeds in the bucket. Looked down in the corner where the two traps are set and saw the white belly of the perpetrator.

Seems the new floating camper is off limits to these rodents.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Oh boy! You guys are…well, you need to go fishing. )

The only place I have mice is in the garage and if I wouldn’t have black oil sunflower seeds stored there, I likely wouldn’t have them there. Since they’re filling their little bellies on the seeds, they aren’t into other things.

Although I left my Marcum LX-9 out there for a week and when I went to use it, the cord carrier had a good amount of shelled sunflower seeds in it. I thought it was nice of them to pre shell them for me.

Caught a third mouse yesterday heading for the buckets. I thought I was done with them after two but notice chewed seeds in the bucket. Looked down in the corner where the two traps are set and saw the white belly of the perpetrator.

Seems the new floating camper is off limits to these rodents.

Thats good to hear. Likely the snakes get ’em before they on board.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Now that the FW won’t step on the boat Dutch, I need a first mate. You in?? LOL!

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Caught 16 mice in my stand alone garage this fall . Tried everything , trapping is the only deterrent !

Aaron Kalberer

A decent farm cat takes care of our mice problems, give it a food dish to keep it around and let it roam. It will line up its catches outside the garage as if it were showing off.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My cat takes care of our mice. And then I usually heavily throw dryer sheets in my sheets in my shack. That way It doesn’t smell like dead minnows any ways when I open it. I haven had a problem yet knock on wood. But dryer sheets is my go to move. And lots of them

Aaron

Make one of these and put it by the boat. Put some antifreeze in the bottom and you wont have the problem of them in your boat.

Attachments:
    1. 1DoneClose.jpg

shockers
    Rochester

I’ve always used moth balls. No mice. And no moths. I also struggle to catch fish too, so….Hmmmmmm.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Make one of these and put it by the boat. Put some antifreeze in the bottom and you wont have the problem of them in your boat. [/quote

Those contraptions work good. But make damn sure your dogs and such stay away. It’s a dog attractant as well

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Aaron wrote:</div>

Make one of these and put it by the boat. Put some antifreeze in the bottom and you wont have the problem of them in your boat. [/quote

Those contraptions work good. But make damn sure your dogs and such stay away. It’s a dog attractant as well

Water works in them as well then you don’t have to worry about the pets.

jim horsch

Google it– can order through wal-mart– I tried dryer sheets n soap with no luck– mice used sheets for nest

Attachments:
    1. 0526180903.jpg

Deleted

I used to use those bucket traps outside with water….. more mice than I could imagine fell into that thing. Peanut butter & bird seed smothered all over the spinning pop can and it was curtains for suicidal mice! I too use dryer sheets in my boat but also haven’t caught a mouse in my garage with snap traps or glue traps in almost 5 yrs.

pete the catfisherman
    Crawford county WI

I had good luck with the mouse magic until a few weeks ago when I found a packet torn apart with the mint stuff all over inside a compartment that was closed. Killing them is the only option.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

For those that use poison, I’m certainly not telling you what to do but consider the mouse that’s struggling and makes it outside. There a bunch of animals and birds that love mice. More so if they are an easy catch.
    They take the poison back to their nest to feed their young and it wipes out the whole family.

It’s been said that his is the reason barn owls are endangered.

Poison is my last resort.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.