Fuel line connection stuck

• fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

I am trying to take the male connection piece out the fuel line connector to the gas tank but it is stuck. I pushed in the silver release panel but it won’t budge. Any ideas on why it won’t release? Gas line was 16 years old and cracked which is why I am replacing it.

Attachments:
    1. C9B94393-4FA1-4F3E-8F9D-B0E3CC5CDDD0.jpeg

Iowaboy1

there a few things that will cause that.
    one,fuel over time has swelled the plastic or bonded it to the tank fitting.
    two,there is crap under the metal retainer preventing from releasing when you depress it.
    three,fuel has degraded the O-rings and they are stuck on the brass nipple unless its made of plastic also,see number one if thats the case.
    four,corrosion on the brass nipple if used has increased its diameter making it stick in the fitting.

you may have to heat it with a hair dryer to get it to release,just make sure fuel is not sprayed back into the hair dryer and ignites.
    it may end up taking a lot of fiddling with it to get it to release.
    worst case scenario is to replace the tank top which should be available through serria marine,boats usa,or any marine outlet if you can find that tank style.

munchy
    NULL

Stick a screwdriver partway into the hole on top and while pressing the release gently pry against the edge of the hole towards the fitting. If it doesn’t pop loose then you likely have a bigger problem and should just replace it.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Thanks for the replies. Will give both a try. Do fuel lines come bored out at the end to connect over the plastic?

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I was thinking that fuel may have gummed the release mechanism. Shoot some carb cleaner on it.

iowa_josh

No, they stretch quite a bit and that keep the connection from leaking.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.