What do you come to fish on the Big V?

• guideman
    Lake Vermilion, Tower, Minnesota

Hi All,

We are pretty lucky here on the Big V, with some of the best multi species angling available anywhere.

World class Muskie and Smallmouth bass, walleye and monster Northern Pike can all be had here by anyone.

Most of the tourist come for the walleyes as do many of the locals. I love them all but Muskies are what makes me tick, I persue them about 150 days a year.

The smallies and largemouth are my second choice and the Big Pike are not to far behind. I do enjoy good walleye fishing, I do a good number of walleye guide trips each year.

Muskies are my addiction however, I spend whatever I can afford on tackle and baits. I think about muskie when I’m not fishing, I belong to Muskies Inc and the Minnesota Muskie Alliance. I just can’t get enough of them, I’ll even go muskie fishing, when I take my wife on Vacation in the spring.

Of corse we only go to where they have open muskie season in April.

So how about the rest of you? Is it Muskie, bass, or is it the walleye fishing that brings you here every summer?

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I fish Vermilion for walleye. But what I love best is catching all the great scenery…there in nowhere quite like it.

I have to admit though…after having a couple of 40″+ muskies slam my eyes right next to the boat I could probably be turned.

guideman

Hi Dave,
    Nice to see someone else on the board for a change!!
    I got to agree with you on the beautiful shorelines and the natural beauty of the area. There are still plenty of places to fish that look like you could be on some remote Canadian lake.
    You’ll have to give muskie fishing a shot sometime however I must warn you, It may be addictive!

MTNet
    Champlin

Muskies and walleyes. The scenery can’t be beat!

clarence_chapman
    Hastings, MN Lake Isabel activist

Trolling for whatever will hit the lure. Eyes and smallies and pike were our favorites last year. Looking forward to the return trip.

Opie
    Coon Rapids, MN

Been chasing eyes on the big V for close to 20 yrs now. My favorite lake in the midwest. Will also take some time to try to get some of those slab crappies in the spring. Would love to try some muskie fishing, but am very afraid I would become addicted, then it’s more new tackle, rods, reels, etc. and I think my wonderful wife would frown on that. She is still trying to understand why I need over 20 rods for walleye fishing

Here’s to the most beautiful lake in this great state

Dean Thorn

guideman

Hey Dean,

I have also spent countless hours, chasing walleyes on the Big V. Some of my earliest childhood memories include a walleye trip to the Big V.

However you really should give those Muskies a shot.

Take out a guide and use his equipment, if it’s not for you, you won’t have to spend all that money to find out.

I think the walleye fishing is going to be great for the next several years. The record year classes of the late 90’s, are starting to dominate the walleye population on the Big V. Many of those fish are now in the 17 to 21″ range and there are lots of them.

I’ll be fishing them hard, at least until the Muskie opener in June.

Coffee
    Burnsville, MN

Terry,
    Here’s a general mid-late summer trolling question.
    In reading some of last years messages for late the August to Mid Sept period, there were good reports of guys cathcing Walleyes in the mid basin areas of Wake-em-bay and Niles Bay trolling cranks in 20-25ft of water. Is this a leadcore system, or long line deep diver plugs like deep husky Jerks?
    what is the set-up? Also, what’s you favorite lure/system for the smallies in late August through mid Sept.
    thanks,
    DaveC. ( Coffee )

guideman

The open water trolling action is at it’s best late in the summer after the water temps start to fall.
    I don’t use wire or lead core I just use deep diving cranks. There are those that use riggers and lead, I just don’t think it’s necessary.
    There are many good baits that will run in the 20 to 25ft range without any special tackle. Reefrunners, thundresticks, huskyjerks, fatraps, bomber long A’s and many others have worked well for me over the years.
    I do use line counter reels and 8ft trolling rods in my presentation, it really makes a big difference to have line counters. It allows you to keep your baits in the strike zone, without having to guess how far back you were trolling.

Late summer smallmouth will hit a variety of baits however, plastics are by far the most productive.
    Rattle baits and spinnerbaits will also catch fish most of the time. Small shallow running cranks have been effective at times as well. Crawfish patterns are stone killers on the Big V, greens primarily.

honest_john
    Twin Cities, Minn.

I will be fishing for walleyes on the Opener this year. I missed the Opener last year, but keep hearing about how great it was; so I am really looking forward to it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.