Ice on the Big V.

• guideman
    Lake Vermilion, Tower, Minnesota

Hi All,
    I awoke this morning to ice on Pike bay, it appears that the open water season, is about to come to a close on Vermilion. Mainlake water temps are in the high 30’s and the forcast is for lows in the teens most of this week.
    It seems like it was only yesterday that the ice was
    melting from last winter. The summer season is now a memory and the hard water season will be in full swing in a matter of a few weeks. Oh well, I guess I better get that auger tunned up.

guideman

Hey All,
    Well all but the mainlake is now ice covered, we are expecting lows in the single ditgits for the next few days. Looks like we may be ice fishing by around Thanksgiving. We just had 4 inches of snow yesterday and it’s snowing right now. It’s going to be a long winter I’m affraid.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Time to fire up the sled and head to the VC or the Iron Ore for a warm up???

guideman

Hey Dave,
    It won’t be long, we have about 4″ of snow and looks like there is more on the way.

guideman

Hi All,
    The ice has taken a beating the last few days, wind, rain and warm temps, have re-opened much of the main lake. Many of us locals thought we’d be ice fishing by now…looks like it may be awhile as warm weather
    is in the forecast for the next few days.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Hey Terry, does anyone ice fish in Pike Bay over the winter or is most of the action on the main lake? Obviously you can tell that I have never been up there ice fishing.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

People fish Pike bay. Mostly further out where it dumps into the main lake.

guideman

Hi Scott,
    Pike bay does have some fishing opportunities for pike and walleye through the ice. The mouth of the Pike river has a 20ft hole that hold fish all winter long. Tip ups in the shallow water can be a very effective presentation for both species. I have done well in Pike bay, when much of the deep mainlake areas have shut down, in late winter.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.