Reoprts

• CCoops

I am wondering if anyone has got any recent Muskie/Walleye reports. I used to live on the lake and it is still one of my favorites. I’m hoping to get up in about three weeks.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’ll be on the lake for 3 days, July 18-20. I can’t wait to experience the MN northwoods. Any info about the bite prior to this would be greatly appreciated.

MTNet
    Champlin

We just got back from a week on Vermilion, east end. Early last week was a big mayfly hatch, by the 4th, we noticed numerous large rafts of dead mayflys floating on the far east end. The house was also covered with them.

The walleyes were tuff for us, I suspect they were full from gorging on the mayflys. They should be hungry soon. We used crawlers. Had a great time on an outing and shorelunch with Ace, thanks Ace! But we spent more time casting for musies and enjoying summer refreshments in the screen house.

The muskies were not active, for us anyway. Maybe too much traffic and pressure due to the holiday weekend. Most of my spots were already being fished by the time we got there. Searched for new unused water to try, liked what we saw. We got a chance to see a nice fat one hit a topwater on a 6′ reef before it flipped us it’s tail. We fished the weeds without a sight of one, but saw a number of them on the reefs, and islands. Boat trouble kept us from the evening fun. Now its repaired, I’ll be ready next time.

The bass were lively last week again. Even my wife’s simple leech and clip on bobber rig off the dock produced more smallies than my tube jig or topwater presentation. Go figure.

guideman
    Lake Vermilion, Tower, Minnesota

Hey Guys,
    Sorry for the late reply, I have been very busy this summer and I haven’t had much time for the computer.
    The walleyes have been slow this week due to mayflys
    and storm fronts.
    I did pretty well yesterday with lindys, tipped with a crawler in 10to 15ft of water off a mainlake point in Big bay.
    Most of the bugs are done so expect the bite to pick up on the big reefs in the main basin areas. Don’t be affraid to fish deep in the day time. 25 to 35ft is a good place to start if the sun is high.

The muskie action has been on the rocks, for most of the anglers I have talked to this week. I can’t get any action in the weeds, except for a few follows.
    Big hair, gliders and jerkbaits are getting the most attention. The topwater bite has been spotty and it is best in the evening or just after dark.

The bass are hitting everything that moves, cranks, jigs, spinnerbaits, jerkbaits topwaters and plastics are all catching fish. Points, saddles, reeds, grass and docks have all been good. The shoreline rubble has been the best place for numbers and eventually you get a 20’er along the way.

Good Luck Guys!

kooty
    Keymaster

Thanks for the report Terry. I’ll be up in a week, can’t wait for the north woods experience(I’m originally a flat lander from SD).

CCoops

Thanks for the feedback guys. I to will be up in a week. I plan on pounding the water for muskies from Mon day till Thursday. I’ll give ya a report when I get back.
    CCoops

BigFish4
    SE Minn.

guideman:
    I am going to be staying up at Fortune Bay for a week or so on the 25-31…….. what information can you provide for me and where to maybe catch some good ‘eyes’???
    Any information and spots would be very appreciated….Thanks!

kooty
    Keymaster

Big,

I’ll be up there tomorrow through Sunday. I’ll gladly share any info I come home with. Hopefully lots of big walleye spots…..

CCoops

Well fishing on the Big V was good. We saw lots of fish and managed to boat a couple as well. I hadn’t been on the lake for three years and some disturbing things I noticed were, the presents of Eurasian Milfiol in two unrelated areas of the lake, the poor cabbage growth in many of the bays that formerly contained great cabbage at this time of year, and the presents of some kind of dying, grass-clipping looking, thck, matted, weed. I named it “Poo” and joked with my buddies that I was going to write an article Titled MUSKIES ON THE POO. If any locals would care to comment on these phenomena I would really appreciate it.
    P.S. I’m pretty sure I saw Ace fishing rocks Thursday figure eight-in’ like a mad man.

MTNet
    Champlin

Nice! Always fun to se some fish. Last time I was up, it was a little slow.

I haven’t seen the milfoil yet, I tyically fish the rocks. The Rusty crayfish are responsible for much of the destruction of cabbage and weed beds on the east side. But, I have seen that their numbers are not as large as they were a few years ago. Maybe the Rustys are on the decline?

guideman

Hey Guys,
    The muskie action has been awsome this week, I had a 4 fish day on thursday and saw 7 fish this morning on the west end. Most of my action continues to be on the rocks and mainlake points. I haven’t moved a fish in the weeds all week….
    Sunday night we had 11 follows in 3 1/2 hours out on Big Bay. The next day I couldn’t raise a fish, thats muskie fishing for ya. The hot weather has the bait high in the water columm and the muskies are right on top of the rocks.
    Get out and fish till your arms fall off, it ain’t going to get any better than this…

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Hey Ace ???

Any reports or pix of my brother and his two boys ?

guideman

Dan and the boys caught everything that swims in the Big V, except a muskie, the 2 days they fished with me. They learned how to throw a baitcasting rig and how to remove a backlash.:)

We caught some nice smallies and an 8lb northern the first day. Spent the next day fishing for bass and did very well on smallies and largemouth. One of the boys caught a limit of walleyes on a crankbait and we had a great time together.

By the end of the second day Dan was fished out, He said they were going to take a day off from fishing and go to town to see the sights.

freeke2

Hey Ace,
    Ahhhh…muskies on the move!!
    That’s exactly what I wanted to hear. My buddies and I will be up Sat afternoon and I’ve gotten them all worked up into a muskie fishing frenzy. They have all either bought or borrowed a reasonable muskie fishing rig and it sounds like we’ll have a reasonably good chance of getting some fish in the boat.
    Any particular lures/colors that seem to be attracting more fish?
    I have caught the biggest fish 3 years running on our annual trip so there are a lot of bragging rights at stake. I’m pretty sure I have it sewn up again this year but I’ll take any edge I can get…..
    I won’t make it up for the tournament on Sat morning but good luck to you. Are you teaming up with Mrs. Ace again this year?

-Don

clarence_chapman
    Hastings, MN Lake Isabel activist

My wife and I will be up there on Next week ( Wedsday)
    Can’t wait to give the Big V a try.
    Great to hear that the fishing is getting better. Almost canceled the trip a few months back cause the reports that I was getting were so bad.
    Thanks for the report.

guideman

Hey Guys,
    Sorry for the late reply, I haven’t hadmuch keyboard time this week. The fishing has really picked up on the Big V recently. The walleyes are hot and the muskies are moving on the rocks and the deep weeds.
    We have been having the best weather of the summer the last 2 weeks and the fish are responding well.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.