Lake Vermilion Bass

• Staggo

I fish for walleyes on Lake Vermilion in early August, trolling crankbaits. Just wondering how good is the bass fishing and the best way to boat some (docks,deep weeds line,rocks) We use the oak narrows access, and not afraid to cover some water

scottys
    Eagan, MN

In August I will fish the smallies on the rock humps. The fish will show up one hour and gone the next, so keep moving around. If the fish are feeding they will be on the top of the humps, when they are not they will go deep 18′ to 30′. The docks will hold fish at this time of the year. Cast tubes or little 3″ craws under the docks. Hope this will help

Staggo

Thanks for the tip, can’t wait to try the patterns. What side of the lake do you think the docks hold more fish East or West?

scottys
    Eagan, MN

I fish both sides and found that they are about equal. If you catch one fish from a dock cast back to it, I have pulled 12 fish from one dock

guideman
    Lake Vermilion, Tower, Minnesota

Scotty is right on about the bass action, it’s good no matter which end you’re on. The west side has the best largemouth action, because it simply has more habitat. I like the east end for smallies, but that is just me.

Fish the slop for the green bass on the west end and fish the rocks for the brown bass on the east end. My favorite summer presentations are a tube/soft plastics for the smallies
    and a “mossfrog” or other similar style topwater, for the largemouth.

You can also catch them on cranks, spinnerbaits, jig worms, jigNpig or
    any number of plastic concoctions.

Rocks, docks, the shoreline rubble, points and saddle areas, the “slop” and mainlake reefs, will all have one kind of bass or another on them at some time.

Good Luck!

“Ace”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.