The ethics of a reasonably intelligent fisherman

• arklite881south

Hey guys,

On the Brink of spending 8 days a week on the water guiding this summer I thought I might attempt to do my part to increase fisherman respect on the water.

(Tongue in Cheek!)

Here on the Mighty Rainy we have the flat out privelege of fishing nearly 220,000 acres of fish infested waters. Plenty of room for lots of fisherman.

I’ve got a pet peeve or two on the water, but I’d say topping the “Are You Kidding Me?” list would be someone stubbornly fishing directly on top of me. Part of the experience of fishing border waters is catching fish seemingly all by your lonesome. There is a distinct chance that all the fish that inhabit Rainy Lake have not sought refuge directly under my Lund Fisherman, so subsequently this makes some sense to give a respectable amount of space to each other out there. In my opinion this means to stay a reasonable distance away such as will allow each boat to continue fishing as it was previously.

Pet Peeve #2 — You can bet I am truly impressed that some supercharged, heat seeking boats are able to reach speeds in excess of 70 mph, but please display its flame throwing, rooster tail spraying speed at a safe distance. Rainy is cold cold water, so a dip in to save someone is not at the TOP of my list of things to do. Nor is picking up your garbage being dispersed from your water rocket.

Note to the wise– I often times have been known to throw 2 marker bouys out while combing structure. Often times I have a dead marker in which is thrown in a location where I mark nothing simply for the general amusement of my customers as Mr. “Aintyourlake” spends countless passes working the “dumby marker” only to claim he fishes this dead spot all the time!!! LOL! That truly gets a smile out of me everytime!!!

Lets have a safe and fun fishing season Boys! smile at one another, waive and lend a helping hand to other fisherman. I can honestly say we have very “Friendly Waters” up here, so lets all do our part to keep it that way.

Catch and release those Big Rainy Lake walleyes and be sure to register your fish and proudly wear your Rainy Lake Catch and Release caps. Very stylish hats this year.

May you finally land that 36 inch walleye!!!

Rainydaze

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.