Crappie Life Cycles

• arklite881south

Conversations regarding preservatons/conservation of our fish are most always productive. Definately shows we are all concerned about the future viablility of our fisheries whether here on the border on in your own backyard.

For anyone whom might have some interest in The Black Crappie Life Cycles, I have included parts of a recent converation I had with our local fisheries Biologist here on Rainy Lake.

First off I would like to thank him for the time you spent with me on this discussion.

Black crappies here in the Northern reaches of there findings have a life cycle of only 8-10 years versus walleyes up 20 years or more. Recently there was a walleye aged at 23 years on a smaller border country fishery!!! WOW!!!

A study has taken place looking at the “Hooking Mortality” here on Rainy Lake when pertaining to Walleyes caught via hook and line in deep water (30 feet plus) during the months of July and August. study findings are quite interesting, and results show that 1 in 10 to even higher percentages of fish released will die. Mortality increases dramatically as you fish deeper haunts, and it is believed hooking mortality percentages would decline as water cools in fall/winter… Things such as time out of the water, speed of bringing fish in, handling of fish… obviously will lead to either increases or decreases in Moratility percentages.

Crappies are found to be MUCH more volatile than walleyes when it comes to catch and release. Studies have shown numerous “Dead” crappies floating under the ice by use of underwater cameras… Releasing fish is noble, but proper catch and release/handling is vital. Makes no net difference if your releasing ALL fish if percentages are falling victim to hooking mortality. Thus noone will be able to wash there hands of the matter if catching fish.

In regards to relationships with size/spawn production, the verdict seems to be a bit unclear. On one hand it is quite obvious that a 15-16 inch crappie will carry/drop far more eggs than a crappie of smaller size. On the otherhand studies show that at “some” seemingly undetermined point the eggs are not viable/prime for producing those dollars size little guys we all love to see!! Determinaton of that time is not clear. There are far less dollars being thrown at Crappie studies than say Walleye. What is clear is that a 15-16 inch crappie is at the end of it’s life cycle. Crappies do continue to grow througout there cycle. Does this mean you should keep bigger fish…. assuming your keeping fish for the fry pan?… That is a tough question pertaining to Crappies. Fact of the matter most anglers likely aren’t going to catch many or any fish of this magnitude. Most fish likely have been caught and kept prior to reaching peak size structures. Are there bigger crappies than 16 inches? Sure, but very very rare. There are very very few anglers whom have caught “Several” 16 inch plus crappies. I think over all the crappies friends, clients…we’ve caught, and understand the rarity of fish like this.

It is also quite evident that Crappies are quite vulnerable during the winter period as in my opinion are many other species due to the concentrations, technology, and increased mobility of th average angler. No question about the fact that the average angler is becoming much more profficient at icing some fish.

I believe it is every anglers responsibility to become somewhat educated in preserving the fisheries. With this being said releasing hoards of fish still have consequences as keeping some for the frying pan does per DNR Fisheries studies conclude.

I look forward to publishing an article on Rainy Lake crappies in regards to not only spawing, but growth rates, life cycles, history of population… This summer once again I hope to be priveleged enough to gather data as a volounteer during the Rainy Lake Trap netting period to gather further information on the Rainy Lake Slabs!!!

Good Fishing Boys

Rainy Lake = BIG FISH/small crowds!

Rainydaze

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.