Rainy Lake

• moler02
    Iowa, Knoxville

I have decided to quit the trip north of the border and fish Rainy instead. From what I read it is very good. Thinking about Island View. Probably late May and latter June. Any advice, opinions. other choices of lodging. And is there much better fishing on The Canada side. Thanks d.j.

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

PM one of the “rainy lake crew”
    uffdapete..fishmiester..rainydaze
    they all know the lake extremly well
    GREAT GROUP OF GUYS

arklite881south

Hi Moler,

Welcome to the Rainy Lake forum! Yes we’re seeing a lot of guys staying on the US side now. Rainy is an unbelievable fishery with trophy pike, walleye,crappies, smallmouth and musky. There are several lodging options and besides Island view you could also check out Woody’s Rainy Lake Resort. During the late May period many of the fish will be relating to shoreline breaks. Crappies will be active in the shallows. There are several methods that will turn fish. I personally like this time of year for jig fishing or lindy rigs or trolling raps up shallow. The key to your success will be to effectively eliminate the dead water as Rainy is very vast with endless amounts of structure that “LOOKS GOOD”. People do venture into Canada on Rainy, but I typically don’t feel the need to during this period of time as the fishing here can be fantastic very close to home. I don’t have any problem with saving a little gas $$! Stock up on spinner rigs, fireball multi-colored jigs, number 7 raps, tubies for crappies… The other thing that should be mentioned is that a big claw anchor with 150 feet of rope will be key. Locate fish throw marker drop anchor and drift back into your spot. The swinging of your boat with a lot of anchor rope out will be an effective way to boat fish that time of year. Good electronics are very important.

Oh yeah almost forgot! Bring your digital camera! If you contact Woody’s ask for the fishing Queen! She’s pretty easy to get along with! LOL! Tell em Daze sent ya!

Hope this helps!

Rainy Lake = BIG FISH/small crowds

Rainydaze

CaptJohnWI
    northern Minnesota

If you are just going to fish the Canadian side, it will be easier to stay on that side and avoid the bridge crossing hassles or the need to get a remote crossing permit. Cannot bring live minnows back and forth either.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Call the chamber of commerce at 1-800-falls Mn
    They can fix you up with all the places to stay.

FYI, while you don’t need a guide to find fish I recommend one for the first day just to speed the learning curve of where to go. I made about 6 trips up before I got a guide for a 1/2 day trip. Best money I ever spent.

Enjoy your stay, it’s awesome up there!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.