Look for action to pick up next week!

• arklite881south

Hey Guys,

Boy we’ve been stuck in a cold pattern. This morning we were greeted with 27 below here on Rainy Lake. A bit abnormal for March even if you do reside in the Ice Box! Forecasts show weather is going to break, and a good week fo 30+ degree temps will officially start the infamous late ice bite. Crappies are going on the Canadian side of Rainy, but will pick up drastically with some warm temps and melt off. Pike will be heading into the mouths of bays or waters adjacent to spawning grounds. Walleyes once again will snap out of the low oxygen lethargic state they often get into this time of year. This is arguably some of the greatest ice action of the year coming up, so don’t miss it! Rig up your flags, and bring your lucky jig sticks as we will be pulling some trophies out in the next month!

Rainydaze

BassBuster2

Couldnt agree more RD. Iam heading out tommorrow and plan on being on the ice all week.The weather looks great.We are going to fish alot of differant places targeting all species. CANT WAIT.

arklite881south

Right on Bassbuster,

Fishing in sweatshirts makes everything a bit more enjoyable. Sleds, augers, rods and reels… everything seems to work a little easier in the warmer temps. I plan on going after both some big pike and slabs! Funny thing is with the weather as cold as it has been I think sweatshirt weather would be anything above zero at this point! LOL

RD

znak
    Byron, Mn. Rainy Lake

Heading up Sunday, will probably hook up with Captain John, great guy to fish with.

arklite881south

Hey Paul,

Good Luck to the two of you! Are you the one who bought a cabin on Sand bay recently? Do you ever chase any panfish on Lake Zumbro?

Good Fishing!

RD

znak
    Byron, Mn. Rainy Lake

Yes, that would be me. I actually never ice fished until I bought my place on Rainy in 2006, but I have never fished lake Zumbro even though I am not that far from it. Used to fish the Mississippi a lot , not as much now as i head up to Rainy about every 10 days. Met the Fishing Queen at the ice fishing show this year. She said you and Woody were out fishing so the real talent had to run the show. Sorry, Her words, not mine

arklite881south

HA! OH how true that is! Fishing for a living! Good Times!

For the record the Fishing Queen is a good stick in the boat as well. Even if she ice fishes with a “Pink” rod! LOL! Hope your happy about making the move to Rainy! I bet it is tough heading back home huh! Sand Bay will start turning on pretty good! Look for some crappies to start getting into the mix as well!

RD

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Just wanted to say I think it’s really cool you guys found IDA and are pumping some life into this forum. I can’t wait for you to start posting some pics!!!

scottsteil
    Central MN

Hey Rainydaze, the 10 day looks pretty good up there. The temps and sun should really gets things started anyway!

arklite881south

Hey Scott,

Yes the 10 day forecast is a welcome sight! We’re out chasing Slabs this weekend. I’ll post some results tonight when we’re off the ice.

BIG FISH/small crowds =Rainy Lake Baby

RD

arklite881south

Hey Guys did a little crappie fishing this weekend. Managed some nice crappies and perch. Fish were not jumping onto the ice. We were greeted with 18below again this morning. Warmed up nice this afternoon, and the forecast ahead looks great. We also caught a bucket full of tullibee. Not a bad idea to keep some of the tullibee you catch if you like fishing Big Pike. Gators love Tullibee. I like to freeze them throughout the season, and use them as a dead bait with Tip-Ups during the late ice period. Don’t be afraid to “GO BIG” as we enter the late ice Tip-Up period. Remember some of the biggest pike will be condensed to spawning grounds or adjacent waters. They will be looking to EAT! I HIGHLY ENCOURAGE quick set rigs for these pike. First off it is the most proficient tip up method for releasing pike unharmed. Second off you don’t have to wait a couple days after your flag pops while fishing BIG BAITS! Yes sometimes Big Baits = Big Fish!

Good Fishing Guys!

RD

CaptJohnWI
    northern Minnesota

Rainydaze,

Where you catching those ciscos? I get a kick out of catching them but have only caught a few all winter.

We got a few nice walleye & a pike fishing North Arm yesterday afternoon. Marked a lot of walleyes toward dark but they were very fussy.

arklite881south

Hey Capt,

You’ve got mail! 3 to 15 feet down in 40 FOW. Very Aggressive!

RD

arklite881south

Slipped out for a couple hours into Sand Bay today. 12:00 – 2:30pm. Caught 2 nice whitefish and a 5lb pike. Apparently I’m a Whitefish fisherman now! LOL! In all honesty I was just killing a little time Mid-day, and couldn’t think of a better way. Will be out chasing some panfish this weekend, and will likely try slip the boat in the Rainy River one of those days. I’m getting the itch land a few nice eyes via open water.

Good Fishing Guys!

Rainydaze

BassBuster2

Hey RD, the river landing on shoreveiw drive was plowed out a few days ago , dont know if it is quite ready yet but should be soon.

arklite881south

Hey BB,

Well That is what we heard also. I think that is where we will be heading. Looking forward to a few open water walleyes!

RD

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.