First time

• JulieL
    Scandia, MN

We are coming up to Rainy for the first time in mid July. We have fished LOW and have heard that it is similar. Any suggestions or info would be appreciated. We are staying at island view.

northern illinois

You’ll love it. Get a good map.—————H

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I was expecting something a little different when I opened this post

jesse
    mn

Never fished low but Rainy lake. The weather should be quite warm here is what worked for me. The temps were in the 80s and 90s with sun and every boat I saw were fishing the mid lake humps. I dont travel that far to fish in crowds, so i went away from the norm and did very well. I trolled shad raps along the shoreline and caught eyes even in the bright sun about 10-20 fow. Another area i targeted was weedy shelves were the weeds peaked at about 10 feet down. I trolled rapala taildancers over the top and caught northerns and eyes on every pass over the top for probably an hour. Other weedy patches I had good luck with too. I was very surprised that with the warm temps and bright sun these areas were this productive yet overlooked by everyone. Hope this tactic helps you out if you have similar conditions. GOOD LUCK

2Fishy4U

We are at Island View the week after the 4th of July. We also went last year and what Farmboy said is right on. We spent lots of time trolling and caught some nice fish. My son also caught a 42 inch northern.

The only thing that disappointed us was the lack of Smallies we caught. As for the Walleyes and Northern fishing was good, but not great.

JulieL
    Scandia, MN

We are coming up on the 15th. Will you be there then? I don’t know who is more excited the kids or us. I believe we have cabin 10??????

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I will be up on Rainy starting the 13th. Can’t wait!

Sully

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

See reply to fishaholic’s post for a current report.

2Fishy4U

Our vacation runs from 7/8 through 7/15; staying in cabin #2.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.