Mosquito Lake 5/16-5/18

• Jason
    Lake Erie

I went out to mosquito lake this past weekend to do some camping and fish a Northeast Ohio Walleye Association club tournament.

Saturday I prefished with two of my buddies. We started out drifting the southeast east shoreline just north of the cemetery with jig/minnows and lindy rigs with floating jig heads. We managed to catch a couple of white bass, a perch, and a couple of nice crappie. We made a couple of moves along the shoreline and after about 2 1/2 hours we decided to do some trolling.

We set up and trolled the west side of the creek channel in 16-19 feet of water. We caught a mixed bag of fish, including channel cats. The majority of our eyes and crappie came on ripshads (eriedescent and fried chicken). We ended the day with 6 keeper walleye and quite a few nice crappies.

After fishing we went back to the campground, cleaned fish and had a fish fry (courtesy of lake erie perch from last weekend).

Sunday was tournament day, Chuck, my dad, and I decided to troll the same area of the creek channel. We setup up the same crankbait and inline board program as Saturday except I tipped a couple of the ripshads and the deep lil rippers with a piece of night crawler. We caught over 25 walleye on Sunday. 23 of them were on the lures tipped with crawlers!

We ended up getting second place in our clubs tourney and a plaque for the strangest catch for our stringer that consisted of a smallie, white bass, crappie, perch, and channel cat.

We had a great time and thankfully the weather cooperated the whole weekend..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.