Ottertail County Report

• big_g
    Isle, MN

What a day. My day started when the alarm went off at 5:30 to meet up with my brother Doug, nephew Travis, Shrum, and the Dan Hukriede clan for a day on an Ottertail County Lake, which has been good to me in the past. We hooked up last weekend on Horseshoe Lake on the chain, with little to show. I then piped up about a hot Gil lake I knew of. The plans were made and so it happened today. We got to the lake about 9:00 AM, where we met my nephew 4Paul. After hauling gear out with the 4 wheeler and trailers, we set up and started icing gils. The ice was plenty thick, but there is a river system on the lake, and open water was seen to the North, better safe than sorry. There were lots of gils down there, and sorting was in order. I had my camera down and at any given time, there was about 10-15 gils in view. Every few minutes a northern would cruise through and chase them off. One northern had a small jig in its upper jaw. I tried to catch it, so I could remove it, but he wasn’t interested in my Green Ant, tipped with red larvae. We were set in 13-15 fow. We fished for about 4 1/2 hours and all said and done, we had over 60 nice keeper gils for our efforts. I got to thinking on the drive back, I just spent about $60 in gas, for 15 sunfish, or about 2-3 pounds of filets. But you know what ??? It was worth every penny Get out there and have some fun. I can’t think of a better way, to spend the day than with family and friends, grillin’ a few venison brats and just relaxing before the next work week. We are already planning next weekend, probably in the New London area, as Joey had a hot tip on a crappie bite

big G

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

nice fish lots of hot panfish bites going right now on a number of lakes……and like you said, still plenty of ice.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.