Great weather and a good bite.

• walleyeaddict
    Gods Country and real walleye world, Detroit Lakes MN

We had several good trips out over this last week. The bite seems to be consistant with early am and pm from about 1hr before sunset to dark 30. My best bite has been vertical jigs and fatheads in 15-22ft of water. Live bait rigging minows and crawlers is also producing. Big Detroit has been turning some nice 20+” fish in the mix. Coffee bar, center bar, the boot and the south flats are all producing for me. I also understand some fish are being taken off the humps in front of the fireside, the break in front of the Holiday Inn, and the bluff area on the south. The bite should just keep gettin better. Water temps are around 70 degrees now.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Thanks for the update, Walleyeaddict. I have an old map of the lake that doesn’t name the bars, but I will stop at the bait shop you mentioned and hopefully he will fill in the names. If you see an old yellow Crestliner runabout with a Merc on the back, stop by and say hi. We are staying at Breezy Shores in 202 so if you want, stop by, there may be a cold one on ice. We’ll be there Sun-Wed next week. I won’t pump you too hard for info.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Walleyeaddict,
    Just a quick note to say thanks to you and Baitman John for the info. It was good to put faces behind the names. Sunday and Monday were slow as it was hot and calm but we used the time to explore the lake. The bite picked up on Monday night and Tuesday as the winds picked up and it was cooler. Then Tuesday night and Wed the winds really howled and we decided to check out the area instead of fishing. The real fun came trying to load the boat on Wed night. All in all, a good trip. I’d recommend John at Quality Baits for anyone fishing in that area. He was friendly and his bait was healthy. Although he didn’t get me the leeches I was expecting. Ha Ha Ask him about that.

walleyeaddict
    Gods Country and real walleye world, Detroit Lakes MN

Sat Sun and Mon were slow for almost everyone. The 100 boat walleye tourney on Cormorant had 30 0’s and only a few limits. I will let the”baitman” know about your compliment and your leech disappointment. If you can get back up here for Oct and early Nov you won’t usually be disappointed, but this walleye game is a very weather dependent sport!

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Phew! Thanks for that news. I was beginning to doubt my fishing abilities even on a new lake. Detroit is an interesting lake with all that structure, but I have some some good GPS coordinates for the next time. “Baitman” wouldn’t so far as to give me his.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.