A change of pace and a lot of fun!!!!!!!

• scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

If anyone is looking to do something different and to have lots of fun, I would recommend you try a day of fishing Rainbow trout using down riggers with Paul Rohweller of Pine to Prairie Guide Service. My son and I spent a day fishing trout with him and had a blast. The man knows his trout and how to put them in the boat. Those things do all but slap you in the face when you are bringing them to the boat. Pretty fun to watch them jump and dance on top of the water.

Thanks Paul!!!!!!!!

Jeff
    Scenic Tackle

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Where you guys fishing the trout? I grew up a spinner chucker on the SE MN streams and still have a lot of love for the pretty fish. Tell me more!

scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

We were fishing Bad Medicine Lake located just south of Itasca State Park. The lake it’s self is very unique in that
    the water is extremely clear and clean. You can see down
    about 20 feet in the crystal clear water. This body of
    water is surrounded but trees with a few very nice cabins
    located along the shore line.

We were using spinner rigs behind cow bells hooked on down rigger units. While we were trolling these spinners there were trout jumping all around the boat but they were not as active or easy to catch as the fish suspended deeper in 35-50′ water.

Watching Paul’s Lowrance X-97 it was obvious he knew most of the hot spots on this body of water. Each location we fished was loaded with suspended fish. We were up there when a cold front system moved in and we worked for fish but still brought some home in that 14.5 – 14.75″ sizes.

What a great way to just kick back, relax, and take in the beauty of the lake. When the rod snaps up each person takes their turn battling the fish. Hang on!!

Jeff

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.