Ottertail County Walleye

• wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

If you had one day this coming weekend to fish Walleye on West Battle Lake, what presentation/technique/bait/locations would you go with to put a few in the boat? Thanks!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

No takers and I’m off and running. I think I’m going to try some rapalas and slip some leeches at night, and slow troll leeches and crawlers during day hours. Hope the weather stays clear! I’ll have a Battle Lake report when I return. Have a good weekend everyone!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Well guys, I fished West Battle a few hours Saturday. Didn’t get out until about 9am so I probably missed the walleye bite. Tried slow trolling leeches and crawlers on the point off the Northeast public access, about 22 to 24 feet depth. Not one walleye. Fished it again from 7pm to 9pm, no luck. I’m thinking I may have to look in deeper water. The water temp was very high. Another guy I spoke to said the Musky were very active that morning. Gonna try again in two weeks.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

You have a cabin up there Wade?

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I just got a seasonal spot for my travel trailer a few weeks ago there James. It’s not quite a cabin but it does the trick. So, I guess I’m a part-time Minnesotan now…

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

And we’re happy to have ya’! good luck mastering the body of water and keep up the reports. We appreciate them greatly.

walleyeaddict
    Gods Country and real walleye world, Detroit Lakes MN

Sorry about being so late on a response about Battle. You are correct about needing to look deeper on battle. Live bait rigging with long (Mille Lacs Lake type) snells and don’t be afraid to check the 32-40 ft water. From the west access head all the way east thru the “gap” and check the long extending bar off the south shoreline about a 1/4 mile past the south point of the gap. That is one of the most consistant walleye producers on the lake (top and edges in the am and pm and deep basin area during the day). Battle has not been much for a #’s lake but is your best chance for a pig. Just 5 min away you have a little jem named Silver….check it out. 20min away you have Otter Tail and if you want some walleyes for the table that is a must. It is a stucture fishermans dream! OT has been good all yr and will be even better in the fall. Battle get better as the weather gets worse. Check with Bens bait for some good feedback on whats happening with the bite in the area.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Walleye Addict,

No problem on getting back late. I’m making a part-time home on battle now so I’ll have plenty of opportunity. Thanks much for the info. That’s very kind of ya. If you don’t mind, when you speak of the bar on the south shore, I see there is a “point” that runs out about 18′ deep. It’s east of the South Point and southwest of the max depth area (108′ hole). Is that the area you are talking about and if so, is one side of the point better than the other? And when you say “top and edges” versus “deep basin”, what do you consider top and edges? 15′? 20′? Sorry to be so dang nosy but I am trying to narrow this down a bit. It’s a pretty big lake by my standards. And thanks for suggesting the other lakes inthe area too. I do fish a few smaller lakes around there and love it. Nothing quite like having a whole lake to yourself for the day, even if it’s only 300 acres!

Thanks very much!

Wade

Backtroller
    North Dakota

What a great lake to be on! I fished Ottertail this weekend and we did very well between 10PM and 1AM. We fished the flats and landed several very nice walleye in 8-9 feet of water using berkley rattl’ traps in chrome/blue. The fish were just smashing the rattle traps! IT was fun, we were laughing so hard that I almost pee’d in my pants!

Added bonus was an incredible view of the northern lights from the lake!

great fishing and happy livin!
    John

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

That sounds really fun Backtroller. I need to get into night fishing more but have never felt like I knew enough about it. I’ve been thinking of posting a question on the topic… I think I will.

Good lcuk fishin’!

walleyeaddict
    Gods Country and real walleye world, Detroit Lakes MN

When you fish the bar in the am and pm , start at the tip and work the top…..and edges (17-22ft) If the wind is quartering into from MW it is when it seems best I have had my best times fishing the windblown side.Daytime check the bottom of the break where it contacts the basin. It turns from hard bottom to soft bottom at about 28-32 ft. Sometimes they are on the transition and sometimes deeper off the bar in up to 40ft. Tons of structure and lots of gooooood fish in Battle

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.