Ottertail area fishing/ice update

• Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

As we wait for open water and warmer weather, needed to find something ‘productive’ to do on Saturday. Checked out a smaller lake in search of some pannies with a couple friends and ended up icing some nice sunnies, a few largemouth, and a handful of northerns.

No issues getting around with wheelers or sleds, snow is melted down to maybe 4-5 inches on the ice. Still had 2+ feet of ice on the lake, and we were on one of the smaller ones in the area. The north shoreline was starting to get weak as was the access, so lets hope this process continues!

Waxies right above the weeds produced the tablefare for us…

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

We going to be able to get out on Ottertail for opener or am I going to have to head south? Im guessing it opens up right before opener.

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

Quote:

We going to be able to get out on Ottertail for opener or am I going to have to head south? Im guessing it opens up right before opener.

I sure hope it’s open…gonna be close! I’m thinking the DNR might close some river mouths and creeks to fishing that are known spawning area’s. They did this a few years ago as well. Could be a tough bite…

Jackfish
    Wayzata, MN

Yep, I think it could be ice fishing for opener…cut 30″ of ice yesterday and heard of well over 30″ on OT in spots…tough to melt that much ice without heavy rains in the short time before opener…yuck…

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

I just wonder where the OT ice reports come from…I haven’t seen anybody out there in weeks…

cdn
    West Central, MN

OT ice report I heard the other day (38″ of ice on OT) was from a resort owner concerned about opener. Not necessarily fishing, just curious on ice depth.

If this lake loses 2.25″ of ice per day it will be ice free by opener. It’s going to be close.

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

Ice depth approx. 17 inches as of Saturday afternoon.

ariat
    Ottertail Lake,mn

Hey Trev I talked to this guy in the restaurant this morning and he said he caught this fish off your dock last night! is that true? how is the bite going?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.