Rush Lake

• CrawlerKing

I’m going to be fishing on Rush Lake Memorial Day weekend. I’ve never been on this lake. Looking for eyes in the mornings and then taking my 7 year old daughter out in the afternoons to try and find some sunnies or crappies. Anybody have any advice as far as where to start and what type of presentations to use?

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I’ll be in the area too. May hit Rush for a day. I hear the jig/shiner bite is good now. Be sure to get a lake map and find the humps for walleye. I’m not sure about the sunnies there. Have fun!

PriorLaker

I owned a cabin on Rush for a couple of years. Good fishing lake. Try the East end for the crappies, its pretty shallow throughout. There are lots of bulrushes on the lake – you can catch plenty of sunfish in any of those areas. I don’t know if the rushes are above the water or not, it’s been pretty cold up there. Shiners on a lindy rig on the midlake structure should produce some walleyes. Don’t use fatheads or you’ll get perched and rock bassed to death. Lots of people will anchor and fish the breaks with slip bobbers, as well. That’s a bit of a mixed bag. The lake is loaded with hammer handle northerns. You’ll need a depth finder there is very little shoreline structure to work with – big bowl. Do us all a favor and keep a few of the small northern and throw back any pike bigger than 30 inches. The size structure on the pike is terrible. In two years I caught probably 150 pike between 18 and 25 inches and 1 over 30. Hope the weather holds out for you it can get pretty wavy when the wind gets going.

CrawlerKing

PriorLaker, thanks for the reply. I always enjoy the challenge of fishing new lakes, and it certainly helps when someone can help you narrow in on some locations and presentatations that have been effective in the past. It adds a little pressure when you have a 7 year old with. I want her to enjoy fishing as much as I do. She has only caught one walleye in her life and hopefully this weekend she will be able to add some more! Thanks again.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.