October on Otter Tail

• Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

Arguably the best month of the year to fish on OT, and the weather man says it’s gonna get cool and even has the “S” word in his forecast…. ……too dang early for that! The cooler weather later this week should trigger that ferocious bite that we were blessed with 10 days ago.
    Load up those hooks with big minnows and hold onto your rod… it’s gonna be a FUN month!

My son Drew and I took part yesterday in the beautiful weather mother nature unpacked for us…what a day to be on the water. We only had a little over 2 hrs to fish…so I had to ‘get it right the first time’ as to which spot to fish. Still not sure I picked the right one, but we did manage to pull 6 nice ‘table fare’ walleye’s out of the weeds pulling around some ‘psycho suckers’! Not sure if it was the warmer water (62 deg) or what, but man those minnow’s were really swimming yesterday. Also brought a handful of northerns boatside.

With a slower bite over the last few days, I ‘hand picked’ some of the bigger minnows out of the tank to see if that made a difference, and i think it did. You might not get ‘hooked up’ with every bite using bigger minnows, but you’ll get nicer fish (IMO).

Here’s a pic of Drew – this 16″ walleye about tore the rod out his hand! And the poor fish didn’t even get to finish his meal…notice the size of the minnow in relation to the fish… Go BIG or Go HOME!

Jackfish
    Wayzata, MN

Nice pic…we were surpirsed the eyes seemed a little off over the weekend too…managed to get some fish but expected it to be a little better with the full moon and stable weather. Be back up in a couple weeks to get after them again.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.